Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP - low oil pressure

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott73, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

I just bought an '87 K5 and the oil pressure reads 15 max and drops to about half of that at times. I changed the sender unit thinking this might fix it, but it didn't. Could it be the gauge? The Blazer has 84 K miles on it and runs great. I drove it home about 450 miles and had no problems. It didn't even burn any oil. I think it has more pressure than its showing, but it makes me a little nervous driving it with that low a pressure. Any suggestions?

2. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

put a mechanical gauge in or use one to check the true pressure.

3. GDBlazerFun

GDBlazerFun Registered Member

I've got an 87 as well... 256,000 original miles

Had a similar problem, I changed my sending unit as well...
    This seemed to fix it... but occasionally I get a low reading...

There are a few things it could be...

It could be a bad gauge... (I'm guessing not!)

There is a ground on the circuit panel/board that the gauges are attached to that might not be making good contact
    (The volt gauge will help determine this.) What does your Volt gauge say? vs. Actual volts (When running!)

Someone also mentioned that there is a capacitor??? Not sure on this have to talk them more! If I find out... I'll post again!

Could be a bad oil pump.

Could be a clogged pick-up screen on oil pump.

Those are the ones I can think of... Anyone else???

Good luck.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Greg -

4. NoShow84

NoShow84 Registered Member

I have an 84 when i got it i put all new gauges in and my pressure would range from about 5-20 the warmer it got the lower the pressure would be. i ran that motor for two years with out any problems i think that thats just a trait with chevy v-8's, once they get a decent amount of miles on them the oil pressure just isn't there