Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help make sure im not missing anything..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Greek, Feb 14, 2007.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

OK, Well hopefully im going to start my 4 inch lift next week. Just want to make sure i have everything right before i start tearing into it...

Basically what i am doing is swapping in an 8 lug d44/14bolt, also front 4" springs and rear shackle flip.. I know i am going to need new shocks/brakelines and im aware of dropping the tank for the shackle flip too

From what i read ive seen people say they needed longer driveshafts, and some say they didnt, is this based on the rig or can i use the stock shafts?

For the 14b swap think i need part #447 for the conversion ujoint, but is that the only thing ill need to convert? im using the springs that are on the axle so idont think ill need new perches.

Is there anything i missed and any tips you guys have for me?

edit** for brakelines are the fittings going to be the same as the 1/2 ton? my 14b was off a 3/4 ton

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Might need to shim the rear to get the pinion angle correct
    You will also need new u-bolts and spring plates for the rear
    Not sure if the 10B u-bolts will work on a D44???

3. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

If u have a 1 ton 14 bolt it doesnt matter if u keep the springs you will still need to redo ur perches the thing is that they are to far apart and wont line up with ur old shackles and flip kit

4. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

the front springs came with new ubolts, but will i need new ubolts and spring plates for the rear since i kept the springs on the 14b when i took it off the truck?

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Nope. Might still need to shim though

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You are going to need some form of steering correction for the front. A dropped pitman arm or a raised steering arm.

10 bolt and D44 u-bolts are different.

The shackle flip will move the axle forward anywhere up to an inch so you might want to consider buying some zero rates so you can move the axle back an inch. Also this would help keep the rear from sagging like most blazers do.

As for the driveline needing to be lengthened i doubt that will need to be done since the pinion nose on a 14 bolt is longer than a 10 bolt so the difference between being lifted and the longer pinion nose should come out just about right.

7. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

Sounds like i should consider a zero rate. For the steering when i picked up my d44 it came with a steering arm so i sent the one i ordered back. How do i check if the ubolts will fit the 44? just see if they will fit around the axle?

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The D44 and 10 bolt axles have different size tubes and the U-bolts won't work.

9. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

o ok, another question is about the zero rates. how hard were they to install? what do you do take the center pin out of the spring and replace it with the zero rate bolt? also what do you do for longer ubolts?