Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help making a decision

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by blazerboy72, Apr 1, 2002.

1. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

should i buy a K2500 with 55,000 miles and a turbo diesel or is this going to bt nothing but a heaache

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well, why not give some more details-

condition? maitenance? did you pull the oil stick? is it nasty looking? is it pretty much beat? or in great condition??... price? you know, the normal stuff? YEAR?

Brandy

3. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

it is a 1999 in great condition. i have no experience with the gm 6.5 turbo diesel engine. i would like to know if they are reliable. the truck is a 4 door 4x4 in like new condition for 24,000.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well, I went to kelly blue book, but they dont list the 99 Crew Cab, which I think it must be since you said its a 4 door. In 99 the 3 door is the extended cab, and the 4 door is the crew cab, so needless to say- it didnt have the diesel option for the crew cab-

Kelly blue book gives it 21,850 for used car value... I was not sure what it had for features- but put it as a SLT, because thats the suped up one.

I don't know much about the older GM diesels, though have read quite a bit on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thedieselpage.com>www.thedieselpage.com</a> and from what I gather, the older ones don't have that great of a reputation. again this is not KNOWN fact, its only what I have read.

are you planning on towing with it? or is it a daily driver. I do know that if its a daily driver, your probably not going to be happy with the take off power, or the noise, especially if you ever drive the new Duramax... which I do own, and love. I'd check out a 99 Z-71 extended cab, you can grab them for about 18,500 in good shape. We just traded ours in for the D/A, with 84,000 miles- and got 19,500 for it, but we were also buying a $$ truck...

check out the diesel page, they have a forum for this engine over there. you'll find everything you'd ever want to know and more!

good luck

Brandy