Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help - manual trans (SM465) experts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mouse, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My old pickup - '76 with the old SM465 transmission has been giving me a hard time with the clutch pedal since I bought the truck. The pedal binds on the pivot shaft. I've lubed it up and loosened the nut on the end and for a couple days it will work fine. But, it always goes back to binding. You have to use your foot to pull the pedal back up. It goes up just far enough to engage the clutch by itself, but when it works smoothly it comes most of the way up.
    After looking at it I've determined it must be the bushings that are bad. I got some new ones today, but I have no clue how to get the big spring off from under the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I want to be able to get it back together. Any help, ideas, or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My old pickup - '76 with the old SM465 transmission has been giving me a hard time with the clutch pedal since I bought the truck. The pedal binds on the pivot shaft. I've lubed it up and loosened the nut on the end and for a couple days it will work fine. But, it always goes back to binding. You have to use your foot to pull the pedal back up. It goes up just far enough to engage the clutch by itself, but when it works smoothly it comes most of the way up.
    After looking at it I've determined it must be the bushings that are bad. I got some new ones today, but I have no clue how to get the big spring off from under the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I want to be able to get it back together. Any help, ideas, or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now is your problem at the pedal end or on the pivot at the fork?
    The pivot down there sometimes tends to poke a hole in the fork and the rod will bind in the hole, I made a new one out of a stove bolt.
    If it's the pedal assembly then yes take it appart and that spring is a B***H to take off and put on, when it slips off it will shoot hard and put a dent where it lands.
    /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Any recommendation on HOW to get that spring off? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status