Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me BABY JESUS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Oct 23, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Could somebody help me (before I go insane)???? I've got a 10blt and all I want to do is change the rotors. I got the hubs out, I got the snap ring and washer out, I got the spindle nut out (the one that takes the special socket), now the hub/rotor should come off rite????????? I can't get them to budge! They do have rust on them could they just be all rusted up or what because I beat the hell out of the rotor from behing with a mini sledge and that didn't do anything. When I look in at where the hub used to be I can a silver "thing" it is round with four evenly spaced teeth sticking out and small holes evenly spaced around it??? Any body got any ideas or did I do something wrong.:mad:

2. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That part that you see with the evenly spaced holes in it is a locking washer it needs to be removed then you will see that there is another spindle nut behind it that has to come out then you can remove the hub & rotor assembly :D

3. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

The locking washer does it pull out or does it get screwed out?? And the secound spindle nut does it take the same special socket or do I need a different one??? Thanks for all the info

P.S. I was almost hoping something was wrong so I could just buy a whole new front axle assembly but I will keep going I guess!!!!

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

it just slides straight out. If you look close there is a groove about half an inch wide in the spindle, and the washer has a little.....fang that slides in that groove. May need a pair of needle nose to grab it, probably stuck to the inner nut by the grease.

5. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It slides out like k20 said & yes the second nut uses the same socket.

6. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys!! I will give it a try.

P.S. does anybody know the name and address of the guy that designed it so I can go give him a kick in the ass, it sure would make me feel better!

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

me first!..

If I could face the guys responsible for designing many of the retarted setups on vehicles I've had to repair over the years,I'd kick them squarely in the NUTS!...and make THEM fix it!..:p: ..then maybe they'ed start desinging vehicles that can actually BE fixed,without having to just about pull the motor to put spark plugs in,or tear the entire dash out from one side to the other,just to install a 20 dollar heater core!..:mad:

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Actually, that design is pretty clever. Not bending of tabs down in a deep, dark hole. No adjuster nuts that back off frequently and for no appearent reason. No tiny parts to get lost in the dirt.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah...that design seems like a major pita when you first start messing with it. Once you do it once or twice its cake. I can tear it down and take the axle shaft off of one side in probably about 10-15 minutes. Not too bad really.
    -Harrison