Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me! Blazer died while sitting at a light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by my87Half-ton k5, Jan 12, 2006.

1. my87Half-ton k5

my87Half-ton k5 Registered Member

hey whats up all.
    so heres the scenario
    i attempt to start my blazer this morning and it fires but just doesnt wanna start...it rained really really hard last nite so i figure water in it or something...finally i get it going and its runnin a tad rough but im like w/e itll go away..it was also idling particularly high.drove to the gas station put in like 3 gals of 93 and im off....she didnt seem to have as much power but she drove OK.i get into the next town over and am at a light and shes still idling high so i put it into neutral and rev it a bit and notice that it hesitates a bit...rev it again and it hesitates some more and then dies...wont start at all ...no check eng. light nuthin( and yes the check eng. light works) i **** around with it a bit find that the distributor cap is loose on the back screw and that there are a couple vacuum lines that are splitting at the ends..i trim the lines and tighten the dist. cap screw and my buddy came by and attempts to jumpstart me cuz by now my battery is low....well he gets it running by holding it to the floor cuz its severly flooded for some reason
    ..she idles and stuff but i can tell shes misfiring...if i mash the gas it seems to run better but ****ty at idle although the rpms were more where they needed to be...so i put it in drive but she just bogs and dies..its had a recent tune up and is gettin plenty of gas and spark...checked the plugs and they were ok electrodes are square just black cuz its been running rich it seems...btw they are ac delco plugs...just regular ones.
    anybody have any ideas what might be causing this...thing ran fine before and i havent ****ed with anything between today and the last time it was driven....
    by the way its an 87 TBI 350
    thanks
    matt

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine did that exact thing. The flooding is caused by a stuck injector. Have someone crank it over while you look at the injectors. Mine actually was dumping fuel in the Throttle body just by energizing the fuel pump:mad: . I got it home by putting it in neutral while at lights and reving it up. On the way home it cleared up and I havent had a problem since. It has been about 3 years I know electrical problems dont fix themselves so I am convincing myself to change injectors.

Ira

3. my87Half-ton k5

funny you should say that i was beginning to think something along those lines..my buddy said he could see gas coming out the injectors while cranking it but it was a drip not a stream like it should be(i used to own a 305 firebird with TBI and i know what that spray pattern should look like) thankfully i can still get at the firebird in the junkyard and i know its throttle body is good....
    hopefully this is the problem cuz everything else looks good...thanks alot

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Dont use the injectors from a 305 they do not flow enough fuel for a 350. The throttle bodies are identical but the injector flow rates are different.

One way to test your injectors is to unhook one of them and try to start it. with it unplugged there should be no fuel flow from that injector. Do it to each one and ensure that the fuel stops. It might even startup if you unplug the good one and the bad one flows enough fuel to allow it to start.

Ira

5. my87Half-ton k5

sorryi posted twice
    it was an accident..page was slow so i hit refresh a couple more times
    so 305 injectors wont work eh?
    damn

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

They will work to a point but they will not flow enough fuel at high RPM and worst cast cause a lean condition and damage the engine.

Ira