Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me build a PC ***UPDATED***

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Beast388, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am in the market for a new PC. The 400mhz Celeron just isn't cutting it anymore. :doah:

I have found a few prebuilt computers in the $500-$750 range that would probably suit my needs/wants well.

But, I am toying with the idea of building my own and saving some coin. I am hoping to get some recommendations from the resident CK5 geek-squad for a PC that would fit the bill. :bow: :haha:

I need a PC that can run Solidworks fairly well, so at least a P4 or Athlon chip and 1 gig of RAM. I could get by with shared video for the time being and add a decent PCI Express card later. I need at least 1 Firewire port and would like a DVD burner. Of course a fat hard drive for storage is needed and integrated sound and NIC are fine too.

So, what components do I need? Based on my best guess, here is my list:

Case
    Power supply
    Motherboard
    CPU
    RAM
    Hard drive
    3.5 Floppy (already have)
    CD-ROM 52x (already have)
    DVD-ROM (already have)

Do I need to buy fans? heatsinks? Can I reuse cables?

I have 2 old PC's that I can scap cables etc from.

So......what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for the help! :bow: :bow:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you'll need IDE cables, but a motherboard will come with 1 or 2 of those. Any PC supply store should have more if you need them. Your list seems complete. If you buy a Retail CPU it will come with a better warranty and a heatsink fan combination.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Lets see

I have an

AMD3000
    1024RAM
    PCIE16 6600 video card
    160GB HDD
    DVDRW
    CDRW

Was $800 for the tower back about a year ago

I can put together one on newegg if you want, a parts list I mean

4. Resurrection_Joe

Oh, and don't piss around with cooling, spend the $26 on a thermaltake fan and heatsink

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

This is my specialty.

What you want to consider is future proof technology. There is a happy medium between the worst and the best that will get you the most bang for the buck. Like the difference between a 10b front end and a 2.5ton Rockwell, namely the D60, which is what you want.

I would get a 64bit processor, AMD Athlon64, and only the 939 Socket variety.
    Get SATA harddrive(s). I prefer Western Digital.
    Get a PCI-Express video card (PCI-E, not confused with PCI-X).
    Get a motherboard that supports DDR2 RAM if you can.

This all will provide you with the ability to upgrade later, instead of just replacing the whole thing. So in a year or two you can get a new video card. And a new hard drive will be cheap and plentiful. Kind of the same reason you like your Chevy, parts are cheap and interchangeable.

If you want more specific help, I will be more then happy to work with you to build a real kicka$$ system on a budget. I've done it for many people, and haven't had one complain with what I built them yet. Just PM or IM me if you want. :D (Just to be clear I'm NOT selling my services, just offering to help.)

6. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Heat is what kills computers. The cooler you keep it the longer it lasts and the faster it runs. The two computers at my desk have over 12 fans a piece in them. One has a liquid cooling system, like the radiator in your truck! It never gets over 90 degrees farenheit (most CPUs run at about 150!).

One little known fact is that processors of the same family, but in different speeds (like 1.8GHz, 2.0GHz, 2.2GHz) are usually all exactly the same. When they come off the assembly line, they put them in a tester. They turn up the speed until they reach a temperature determined to be the max stable safe temp for that design. Whatever speed they got to before they got too hot is the model number they get stamped with. Sick huh?

So yeah, spend a few extra bucks on a good heatsink and fan, and don't forget good thermal compound. Unfortunately all this can be $75-100 for top shelf stuff, and that doesn't work when on a budget. In that case go with the factory heatsink and fan. They are usually designed to handle the processor well. You can always upgrade it later.

8. aldrichg9

aldrichg9 Registered Member

I bought a barebones kit at tigerdirect
    Celeron D 2.93 GHz currently overclocked to 3.3
    came with alot of what I needed
    I did have to add fans and things
    Alot of people told me AMD is the only way to go, but I am doing ok with what I have

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

10. Resurrection_Joe

Yes, go newegg.com though, I paid about $32 for that, same one I have

I'm just running the afforementioned fan and I'm only clocking 32* C with arctic silver

11. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

The AMD processors just tend to give you more power per dollar you spend. The Intel processors work fine. AMD, in recent years, has been able to produce processors that actually eclipse Intels in terms of pure speed, which makes them a favorite of gamers, at a premium price of course.

12. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

I can't disagree with anythine else you've said in this thread guido.

But this is ABSOLUTLY NOT TRUE

all you really need to know when building yourself a system, is;

asus motherboards
    AMD CPU's
    GOOD QUALITY RAM (OCZ, Corsair)
    and a good powersupply!!!!!!!

I can't stress the powersupply enough. Its more important than even cooling. If you PS isn't making enough amps you are just gunna have problems. Much like a ****ty alternator. Don't just look at the wattage rating, get information about how many amps it makes on the 3.3 5 and 12V rails. If you have a few extra dollars around, find something with dual 12V rails.

13. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Actually it is completely true. It's not publicized much but 100% true. It is only between processors of the same family, and die size. Read up on it. I will try to find you an article or something.

14. Resurrection_Joe

I've used MSI boards through about four build, impeccable

I'll agree on the Corsair Ram

Check this, 5 months, price went down $200

[​IMG]

15. Resurrection_Joe

Of course, take off the ink cartridges and add a HDD (I had a HDD)

16. CustomChevy

well considering my dad and uncle both work for AMD, i can guerentee you whatever article you find is bogus. Infact more things than you would believe that get posted at toms or anandtech are crap (when relating to processors).

The last model line of CPU I can remember that used the same Die's, bus clockspeeds (not to be confuced with the buss clockspeed you use to overclock FSB, but the bus speeds on the die of the chip), and operating frequencies / voltages was the early socket 370 celerons. (remember the 300a ... ahhh yeah).

Its not true anymore at all. There are suddle differences that make they vary in temp and power useage.

You are however correct that processors of the same family can generally reach the top clockspeed of that family with decent cooling.

17. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

As for the rest, I agree that ASUS makes good motherboards (I have several). RAM is good to get from a name brand but don't beat yourself up over it. The highdollar low-clock RAM only gains 1-5%, and isn't worth the exponential price growth. I would just get something like Kingston Value RAM or something. A $10 pair of RAM Heatsinks will go a long way too. Again, for the powersupply, get something name brand, but not fancy. Just get a good brand like Antec and make sure you get one with enough power. Remember your building a budget PC (some other seem to have forgotten), and you can easily break the bank with high-priced power supplies that deliver perfect power. One that does the job OK is just that, OK.

18. CustomChevy

I've herd good things about MSI boards RJ, and would try one I suppose. I generally only recommend ASUS because of their trackrecord of quality and impeciable performance.

If I was building a system today I'd be using either an A8N-E or A8V-Deluxe. Probably the A8N because nForce chipsets and nVidia's SATA controller dominate.

19. CustomChevy

Budget is one thing, replacing parts sucks. :)

I suppose the only other thing that should be mentioned here is dual channel ram. Dual channeling ram requires nothing special and most newer motherboards support it. Basicly insted of gettin a 1GB stick, you get 2 512 sticks and install into dual channel mode (read your motherboard book if to find slot combinations). This allows your system to write two 2 ram channels insted of one (like having a 2 lane highway vs a 1 lane)

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

PHEW..........

After reading all that I need a cigar!!!:eek1: