Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me build my new axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K30Blazer, Sep 2, 2005.

1. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just went to 35's on my 87 Jimmy. I have the 350 EFI with a 700 R4. The gears are currently 3.42 which is too high for the tires. My truck is out of its powerband the majority of the time. Cruising around town, I am at about 1600 RPM. Great for gas mileage, horrible for power.

Currently I have a factory Posi in my 10 bolt in back. I am most likely going to a 4.10 and looking to keep the Posi and 10 bolt. Up front I am thinking of a Posi also.

Any other suggestions? Not for the gears as I am pretty sure that is what I am going to run, but for the axles themselves. Should I be considering a 3/4 ton axle or anything else?

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

personally i would leave 10bolt front and if u can find a 3/4 ton rear throw that in there. thats my plan so far.. i just need to afford the re-gearing part. Mostly depends on what type of wheeling you do. Most guys on here will swear by 1ton all around locked everything but doesnt seem like thats your situation.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

3/4 ton axle swap is very good, Should have the gears you need. Cheaper too swap both axles with matching gears then to regear. Only draw back is you'll need 8-lug rims.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You aren't keeping the rear Posi I pray . It isn't Posi . If the axle is the original one its a Gov Loc . It will break with tires much smaller than yours . Its not a latter of if , its a matter of WHEN .

If you are going to pay to change gears , and keep your existing housing and rims , then post up in the wanted section for an open differential and an extra set of axles .

With the open differential carrier , you can run a lockright and have a pretty strong setup for a 1/2 ton axle .

There is an even better solution , but it isn't cheap . You could also get a full Detroit locker carrier .

Of course you can take the easy route , and go with 3/4 ton axles , but then you'll want to get throttle happy and break other stuff :D