Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me build new Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hardcore, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

OK guys, I've been checking out this site a while as I searched for a trail vehicle. I have a 98 Dodge Dakota that I bought before I knew how evil IFS was. I decided my trail vehicle would be a blazer. Last weekend I went get a 1990 K5, 350, 700R4, 10 bolts, 3.42's with Gov-Lock in back.
    This thing is in mint condition. Bone stock.

Pics here!

I picked up some 8" Eagle 589's and 33" Procomp M/T's

Here's my plan

1)4" springs all around to clear the 33's
    2)After some time I'll find a 14 bolt and Dana 60 throw in lockers and 4.88 gears.
    3)Bolt in the new axles along with some 38's, swap the front 4" springs for 8" springs. Add a ORD shackle flip to the rear 4" springs to get it up 8". Add shock mounts and long travel shocks.

Any comments about this plan is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I'm also debating whether to go with the 4" springs in the rear or I could run 2.5" springs and 1.5" blocks. Would the 2.5" springs flex much better than the 4"?

One last question, I'm looking at going with BDS springs or Skyjacker. The BDS systems look nice and I hear they flex well but I can't find a good distributor for them. Anyone know of a BDS distributor with good pricing?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nice Blazer Welcome to our world /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifgood plan, but here is my .02. If you are planning on going to 14bff and D60 hold off on the wheels and tires or at least the wheels. I ran right out and bought wheels tires and a 4" lift. Now I am going to 1 ton stuff too. Used wheels aren't worth sh!t to most people so you take a big loss there. Just my opinion if I could go back I would have waited got 8 lug wheels bigger tires and a bigger lift.

-Brian

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Ah ha! Another person from Lafayette appears. I am from lafayette but reside in Baton Rouge, my parents still live there and I am there fairly often, if you ever need a hand or help turning a wrench I'm there. Also interesting that you have a quad cab as well, I have a buddy debating trading his quad for a blazer for a second I thought you were him. Sounds like you have a game plan for your blazer, as of now I am stock but should be lifted 5 3/4" with 35's in the very near future. Again if you need any help advice etc, we have quite a few guys from some great clubs in this general area and we can all lend a hand. Welcome to the site! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'd guess we have about 8-10 CK5 members in the immediate area that have made their presence known.

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Sounds good BowtieBlazer! Maybe we can get together for some axle hunting sometime /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

MTBlazer89, I got the rims used with the tires for $200. The tires are almost worn out but for $200 I figured the rims were worth picking up. It will be at least a year before I can get some better axles under it so the 33's will have to do for a while. I also need to do some engine work because it is bone stock.

5. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

bone stock huh? well i went out picked up an 83 k5, 4 inch lift and 36 swamper tsl. i had the exact set up you do except i have a 465 /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. i regret a 4 inch lift should have bought a 6, get a 14ff asap you will not regret that.

6. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Can anybody steer me towards a good BDS suspension distributor? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I can help ya out with axle hunting, I think I know a thing or two, I just finished a complete d44 12bolt swap and got rid of my 2 10 bolts, 14FF is in store.

I researched BDS lifts quite a bit when i was researching lifts awhile back. I believe the closest distributor to you and I is in N.O. I cant remember the shop name but I remember that much. BDS doesnt like to distribute straight to the consumer you need to go through a shop. Do me a favor and whatever you do stay away from Cajun Offroad in Lafayette,about the only thing I have heard good things about them is their gear setups, but even those are quite pricey /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Local shops are always pricey, they never carry inventory so no price breaks. I've seen the shop in Metarie on BDS's website. I'm sure they want a lot of $$$ for a lift. I was hoping to find a big distributor like a 4wheelparts or Rockymountain Suspension that would buy in bulk.

I haven't heard anything bad about Cajun. About the only thing I need someone for is to set up gears. I can do all the lift stuff and axle swaps myself.

Corey

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think I agree with MTBLAZER89 on this deal. Think about how you want to use your truck. I can tell you, you'll be alot better off not spending the money on things you cant use. You say Trail Vehicle - right away I think of a rig that is rarely driven on the street.

Shoot for the Moon! Buy your D60/14B FF, install at a minimum a locker in the rear, then go with 38" or bigger rubber. You get much better approach/depart angles as well as better breakover angle. This will be useful on a trail rig. Skip the 4" and go 6" front springs, 1.5" Offset Zero Rates front and rear to move the axles outward. Get a set of 4" rear springs and call on BorregoK5 for a shackle flip.

Your rig will then be worthy of most any trail. You install a locker in the front and disregard body damage and you can go almost anywhere! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

www.4x4iron.com is your source for BDS products. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Skip the 4" and go 6" front springs, 1.5" Offset Zero Rates front and rear to move the axles outward. Get a set of 4" rear springs and call on BorregoK5 for a shackle flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might not be understanding you right, but it seems like this will net 7" in the front and about 11" in the rear.

Use you stock rear springs and you will be about level with the echobit shackle flip and the zero rates.

Trey

11. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Will 2.5" springs in the rear with a block flex much more than a 4" spring pack? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Can anybody steer me towards a good BDS suspension distributor? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ] BDS Just click on the distrubitor tab to find a dealer near you. Also consitter Tuff Country. You can get Tuff Country through ORD If you're going to do a ORD shackle flip, do it now and don't waist your time-n-money with blocks. I've got 6" lift springs up front, 3" lift springs + ORD 4" shackle flip for 7" lift in the rear. Planning on 2" body lift, trimming fenders, and 38" Ground Hawg radial tires. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

4x4Iron now carries BDS products. I just saw the post today./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

After seeing most prices for BDS parts (stay away from their shocks, BTW), I am wondering if the performance justifies the expense. Does Tuff Country not work as well (real world) at significantly less cost? Just wondering...

15. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

get everything from ord...if you want a 4" lift right away get the rear flip and front spring kit from them...they're made to go with eachother so its perfect...

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

BDS and TC are pretty comparable in price. There is an online place that sells 4" BDS front springs for right around $90 each. Forget the www addy, but a search will find it, we've been talkin about bds quite a bit in the last month...

j

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I currently have 6" front springs, 5" long shackles in the front and a Dana60 (gave me a little more lift than the 1/2 ton). I have 4" rear springs with a cheapo shackle flip (I cut the hangers and flipped the shackle) and 1" zero rates and my truck sits level.

This equates to roughly 7" rear lift and 6.5" front.

Not sure where you get a Echobit shackle flip add's 4" of lift to this equation. That would mean you would have to move the rear spring eye 8"-10" downward from its factory location to run factory springs and get 4" of lift. Does his flip do this?

I thought about installing his flip, then installing a set of zero rates in the front and it should have a bit of rake but nothing like you mention, unless I am mistaken. Someone with the Echobit Shackle Flip - post your data.