Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me buy a good lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffblazer, Feb 2, 2006.

1. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

ok here it is just bought a set of 33/12.50/15 and i need to make my truck more off road capable. it has a 2 inch springs in the front and blocks in the rear. the lift is less than a year old. now i have done a little bit of off roading and the truck does great (86 k5) but i think i need somthing a little better. now i want a 4 inch but who makes the best four inch and best shocks without breaking the bank (college student so no money) also the lift on there now is less than a year old. so should i get a new lift and what kind, or should i leave what i got until it wears out and get my money out of it.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

super cheap option: trim fenders so the tires fit.

cheap/good 4" lift option:

1) 4" BDS springs in the front, from jdsoffroad.com
    2) DIY shackle flip in the rear
    3) DIY shackles front/rear
    4) gabriel shocks from the parts store

you may need to mod your driveshafts... but if you know how much longer you need them a local driveshaft place can lengthen it for relatively little cash.

hope it helps,

j

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Tires give you the ground clearance, a lift provides room for bigger tires, and can help with more wheel travel and articulation. You just bought tires so theres really no need to go higher. If the suspension feels like its doing OK then leave it alone. I would throw a locker in the rear for the next mod. Hold off on a new lift until you are ready for something bigger than 36" or the rears start sagging. You should be able to stuff some 35's with a little :hack: :grind: Probly your cheapest way to go from 2" to 4" would be 1" longer shackles and a Zero-Rate in front, then out back ditch the blocks and do a shackle flip. I run a longer shackle in front to keep the springs from slapping the frame, and it helped even out the truck so it looks almost level. Then get some shocks from Skyjacker or Superlift etc. Rancho's are good tho a little stiff.

4. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

All great suggestions here. I would continue to research as well, because there are just SOO many options to lifting K5's. If I would have known better, I would have done a shackle flip on mine instead of getting 6" springs for the back. They articulate well, and ride great on and off road, but it was a whole lot of work, and for the price, I would have been better off with a sflip.

Even tho u have no money, a credit card can e your best friend. Do the research first tho!

5. buffblazer

thanks everyone for the help

6. natehate

natehate Registered Member

if your looking for just a bit more lift, try a set of off road design zero rate add a leafs, that should get rid of any rub from 33's if your not interested in cutting your fenders (cut your fenders it looks better then higher lift and works better)

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

into a 10 bolt? I'd rather have an open ff14b than even an arb locked 10 bolt...

j

8. buffblazer

well the tires dont rub at all i went 4-wheelin this weekend and had no problems with that shackle flip how hard is that to do and what does it take to do it?