Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Me Buy Gears!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Jan 3, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I need to order gears for my D44 and 14bff. First what is the best brand? Second with a Detroit in the rear and Electrac in the front are there any other considerations? What about thick cut? Thanks guys!

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

so long as its not genuine gear, you'll be fine. The science of gear-making has been figured out for a long time. Any of the other major manufacturers will be fine. Yukon is usually the cheapest.

Not 100% what you mean by "other considerations"....

"thick" gears are what you need when you are putting gears into the type of axle that has two different types of carriers. This is common in an axle like the ff14b. There is one carrier for gears up to 4.10... and a different one for 4.56+ gears. If you have 4.10s now... and want 5.13s without switching carriers... you order "thick" gears. All of this is covered in other posts... do a search of "thick gears" and you should find all the info you need.

j

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i ran a pool one time a few months ago. best bang for the buck was yukon gears.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Here's where I found my best price on our D44 4.56 yukon gears.