Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me choose a tire.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Iron_Weasel, Apr 21, 2005.

?

Which tires?

1. Dunlop Radial Mud Rover - 33x12.50x15 - $125 each local, $136 from Tirerack.com incl. shipping.

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Interco Super Swamper TrXus MUD 33x12.50x15 - $139 each local

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. Interco Super Swamper LTB 33x13.50x15 - $129 each

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  4. Kumho Venture MT 33x12.50x15 - $140 each from Tirerack.com incl. shipping.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

I just got my NP203 twin stick ordered from ORD, and this time next month I'll be ordering a 4" suspension lift (not sure where or what brand yet), and then by late June I'll have all 4 tires.
    However, due to financial constraints, I can only buy one tire at a time..... :mad:
    I had a set of Cavalier Mud King XT 31x9.50x15 on my old Jeep YJ and I liked them. I haven't been able to find anywhere locally that still carries them, but I'm also not too sure if my K10 will fare as well with the same tire (Mud Kings..not the 31's).
    So, for your consideration, I offer the choices I have narrowed down to.

Vehicle:
    1979 K10 (will have a 4" suspension lift prior to installing tires).
    15x10 rims with 4" backspacing.

Usage:
    Vehicle is not a daily driver, so pavement time will likely be limited to driving to wheeling spots and rarely trips around town.
    While offroad, most of the terrain the truck will see is sand/dirt/small rocks.
    Mud on rare occassions and rockcrawling rarely as well.

So I guess it breaks down to this:
    15% pavement
    65% sand/dirt/small rocks
    15% mud
    5% large rocks/rockcrawling.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I voted for the Trxus cause I hear good things about them.. But I think i would go with a 35 and possibly a regular TSL Swamper. :)

3. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I have Mud Rover 31's on my Dakota and my buddy has Mud Rover 35's on his Scout, great tire for the price, can't beat em!

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

My cousin has run the Mud Rovers on two trucks. 30x9.50-15 on a stock s10 blazer got close to 45'000 miles out of them, did great in the mud, wore and rode good on the road. He just put a set of 35x12.50-15 on his 82 k10 Step side, has under 4000 miles on them, do just as good in the mud.

5. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

If you're set on those four types, go with the Trxus. My buddy has them and they do pretty good in all situations except wet rocks in 'Cruces. Work good for his Toyota though. If you aren't set on just those four, look into TSL's or TSL SX's.

And where in New Mex are you? Maybe we can wheel sometime.:dunno:

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I chose the Dunlops because I ran 33s for a while and had no problems with them.

It's not on your list, but I would also look at the MTRs if I were you. Which I'm not, but I'm just sayin'.

7. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

I personally run 35x12.50 Mud rovers on my truck and LOVE THEM! the price is great, and they ride very good. off-road they're better than the BFG MT. Wear is also a thing I love about my Dunlops. I have about 12K on them and they're showing minimal wear. I wish they made these tires in 37", I'd buy'm. Go with a 35" Mud rover, they're actually 33".

8. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Since you are spending A buch of time in the sand I would go with the LTB for the extra width (floatation).

9. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I voted for the Interco TRXXUS MT. Ran them on my truck for a few years and liked them. Ran them in the dunes in CA as well as the mud and rocks up in Big Bear, and a s a daily driver. Quiet on the street and wear was of an average tire and were agressive in all situations they were put in. Just my 2 cents. Your truck so do what you feel best.

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Know several that run the mud rovers on thier swb trucks and they seem to last along time on the road and do well in the mud and most trails. We do not have much rock or sand here so do not know about them. I am looking at some aroura mt tires but not sure in how long they will last. 102 plus tax for 33x12.5r15. Any good ideas about tires that are cheaper but do good on a dd?

11. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

where's the 44 option? :D

i like the LTBs

12. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i voted for the truxus m/t's. i have a set of LTB's in that size too, great tire in the mud, but i think they might dig a little too much in sand. i think the truxus would be your best bet. mud rovers are good too. dont know anything about the kuhmo's.

13. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

Been checking the replies but haven't had a chance until now to reply.
    You'd be surprised how much effort it is to rewire almost an entire truck because the PO had as much electrical knowledge as my 10 year old sister.

Anyway, NewMexK5, I'm in Belen. Not exactly close to Carlsbad...
    The rest of you, thanks for the comments on the different tire choices. I like all 4 of them, which is why I'm asking for input from others. :grin:
    I had Mud Kings on my Jeep, and aired down to about 12psi, they did very well in all but the deepest softest sand pits that we have around this part of the state. In those pits, a person could hardly walk around on foot without getting stuck in the sand...it's almost like quicksand.
    However, that Jeep weighed probably half what my K10 weighs..so that's a definitive factor here.

So far, I'm leaning towards the LTB, though I do also like the TrXus.... :confused:

The LTB has a more aggressive tread, is 13.5" wide which, in theory, should keep the sidewall and bead more protected than something like a 10.50 wide tire. I've got 10" wide rims, and 10.50 width makes the tires look like a balloon. Plus, as has already been pointed out, 13.50 would offer slightly more flotation as well.
    On the other hand, I have heard nothing but good things about the TrXus Mud's as well and the price difference isn't that much.

14. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Look into the goodyear MTR's. I just bought a set of 37's for 183 ea. I can not say how they do personally but have been told they do great in everything but soupy gummy mud.