Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me choose my career

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MUD JUNKIE, Apr 12, 2003.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I get to choose what I want to do for a career and go to school for.I got this 100% paid college tution thing from the National Guard.I was thinking firefighter,mechanic,welder?
    I realize with a FF you work one day and your off two days(24 on 48 off) which I could see myself doing but I hear the pay aint all that great.
    being a mechanic would be cool and give me more experiance working on my truck,like doing ring and pinion changes and rebuilding automatic transmissions.
    welding would also be fun,I know how to arc weld but would like to learn how to make it nicer,instead of booger welds /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifanyone in here any of the above? I once had a friend how told me to NOT do anything I love since you will always be doing it and will hate it forever.does this make sense? I still want to be a professional monster truck driver /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifandI gotta start some where /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Maybe ya ought to research into being a gigolo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MUD JUNKIE

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe ya ought to research into being a gigolo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes,it would be nice until I had to work the big black chick,"theres been a mistake","who has a steak?" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

If you like welding, there are a lot of jobs around here as an underwater welder. You'll be on the road a LOT, but the pay is awesome!!!
    Look into it, you have to get Dive certified, but I know a guy who cleaned up doing underwater welding for a few years.

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

theres big bucks in welding...

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

of the listed choices, be a welder. Im an architecture major right now.. and unless you REALLY love designing things... and dont care about being paid much or working rediculously long hours... stay away from that field.

j

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My step daughter is a Nanny for a Pathologist....He left one of his paystubs out one time....he NETS $27K per month...just looks at blood and pizz and works 8-5 w/ no callouts, etc......Daughter is on Retainer, and she and her husband are invited to go along on vacations, etc....she nets about $2500mo as a fawking Babysitter working about 5 hrs a day........I'd say try being a Pathologist or babysit for one....lots of free time, and free vacations.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

hell Im 34 and still dont know what I want to do when I grow up.

I dont know about not choosing a career because you enjoy something. Ive been doing maintenence in industrial settings for ten years because I enjoy working with my hands. I still get up every morning lookin forward to heading off to work. I just took up a second job runing my own reatail store... grated its a gun store but still..

I wouldnt decide not to do something for a liveing just because you enjoy it.

9. MUD JUNKIE

cool so I might look into welding,I also got some info on being a cop /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifsomehow I see this to be a fun job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

how bout a machinist? If you learn cad/cam systems as well as manual stuff, you're a very versitile person...

11. MUD JUNKIE

that would be nice,I could machine anything I needed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I could finally have that doubler /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I used a weld for a living, now I'm a welding inspector. It can be an excellent career, depending on what type of welding you get into. That, and there is ALWAYS a job market for skilled welders.

John

13. MUD JUNKIE

[ QUOTE ]
    I used a weld for a living, now I'm a welding inspector. It can be an excellent career, depending on what type of welding you get into. That, and there is ALWAYS a job market for skilled welders.[ QUOTE ]

whats the starting pay,for a welder with a little experiance?

[/ QUOTE ]

14. MUD JUNKIE

man that came out real strange,anywho how much does a welder gross yearly? ballpark figure

15. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Dependant on where you live, at what you are welding, (i.e. structural, pressure vessels/piping, shipyards, etc.), a welder can make anywhere from 20K to in excess of 50K a year. Sorry it took me so long to reply.

John

16. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Be a welder, then teach me.