Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me choose my speaker/amp combo

Discussion in 'Audio' started by TexasA&Mblazer, Jan 29, 2006.

1. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

OK, I do not know much about car stereo systems, although I do know what sounds good. Here's what I want: a moderately priced system that plays country, rock, and hip hop well, with a lot of adjustability. All my friends have either JL or Kicker L7 subs with an amp, but thats it. I want to replace all the speakers in the K5, add a few, and put in a nice headunit and amp. My question is, can some of you that have been around audio awhile help me out with what I should buy? I don't really trust the salesmen down at CustomSounds. I know I want to put my sub on the inside of the rear quarter panel, maybe have some 6X9s back there too, and replace the speakers up front. Here's what I want:
    1.A higher-end headunit with good radio reception, (I use my iPod with iTrip alot, basically no CD's) and alot of radio and sound presets.
    2. A nice 12 inch subwoofer, loud but clean.
    3. A nice amplifier that can power the sub cleanly and easily.
    4. Replacement speakers all around.

Can yall tell me your recommendations for 1-4? Any help is appreciated, and keep in mind, I'm a high school kid, not an audiophile, so keep in mind what you wanted back when you were 16 :wink1:. I was hoping to keep all the components cost to $1000 or under, is this possible? Thanks for all your help!

2. TexasA&Mblazer

OK, here are a couple of brands I'm leaning to on my list taking into account my friend's systems and kicking around crutchfield for prices.

Headunit: STRONGLY leaning towards Pioneer on this one. All my friends have pioneer HU's, and I love the way with the supertuner you can't even tell your listening to the radio til a commercial comes on. :bow: Also, they seem to have the most (and best) EQ settings (which I LOVE). So basically, I need to figure out which Pioneer HU I should get. :D I'm now looking at iPod compatible HU's too.

Subwoofer(s): Again, taking into account my friend's experiences and prices, I really like both Kicker and JL. I'm still WIDELY open to suggestion's here, as I don't know much about subs.

Amp(s): A couple people I know have Phoenix Gold amps and are really pleased with them, and they seem to be at a competitive price. Again, I don't know much AT ALL about amps, so I'm still widely open to suggestions.

Speakers: Leaning towards Infinity or Boston Acoustic on this one, but both seem to be a bit pricey. Any suggestions?

And lastly, do you think I should run the speakers off the HU or on a seperate amp from the subwoofer? ANY input is greatly apperciated! :D

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Headunit -http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5860125533&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 That the headunit I have. Has inputs for about everything, including a Ipod. Amps. I use a Phoenix Gold 4-channel amp for the 4 main speaker, and a MMATS class D amp for my Sub(s). Speakers. I am very happy with the sound quality from my Infinity Kappa's. Subwoofer(s). I'm currently running a Kicker L7. It gets loud, but doesn't sound the greatest at higher volume levels. I plan on upgrading too a pair of TREO Engineering SSI 12.44's. I recomend looking into TREO, RE, and DD. You can always do some reading on Termpro. www.termpro.com has forums too read up on stuff you might be intrested in. Hifonics makes some great amps too. If I was going too replace my MMATS, I'd go with Hifonics.

4. TexasA&Mblazer

Here a few items that I like on crutchfield. Any input on them is great!

HU's: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sgZVd9D7HLv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=130DEH2700#Tab
    ^ My friend has this HU and I like it alot, and it's a great price!
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sgZVd9D7HLv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=130DEHP480#Tab
    ^ Basically everything that the above has plus alot more filters and adustability, iPod compatibility, and a nicer look.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sgZVd9D7HLv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=130DEHP580#Tab
    ^ Everything above plus fancier background and the nicest look of them all IMO.

Subs: What's the difference between 2 ohm, dual 4 ohm and 4 ohm and what do I want? What's the difference between voice coil and non and what do I want? Anyway, here are some, dual 4 ohm and 4 ohm.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sgZVd9D7HLv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&id=detailed_info&i=065G2124#Tab
    Is this any good or is Boston not worth it unless it's the G5 series?
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sgZVd9D7HLv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&id=detailed_info&i=108PER121#Tab
    Is Infinity any good for subs?
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sgZVd9D7HLv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=2066S12L7
    Are all L7's voice coil? Is that bad or good?
    How are Fosgate and Polk for subs? I couldn't find any JL's but what do you like from JL?

Amps: Don't know much here. What's you favorite for bang for your buck and why?

Speakers: What do you like for complete systems?

Basically any info here would be helpful, and sorry for all the redundant posts. :doah:

5. TexasA&Mblazer

I'm not looking to spend that much on a HU, although it is a NICE HU. $200 is about the ceiling for that. I am looking at the iPod attachable interface if I go for the Pioneer HU's. Phoenix Gold seems like what I'm going with so far for amps, and I'll definitely check out Hifonics. Kicker L7 seems like the best bang for my buck, but I would like something different from everyone else. Thanks for all the advice!

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Pioneer makes good headunits, but it seams like everybody and thier brother has one. I really like Clarion and JVC. I believe you'll get more for your money with Clarion or JVC. I really like the Infinity Kappa speakers, but I've never used thier subwoofers. OHM loads. Okay, I'm not the best at explaining stuff, but I'll try. My 12" Kicker DVC (duel voice coil) L7 subwoofer has 2 ohm voice coils. I currently have it wired for a 1 ohm load. At 1 ohm my amp does 1200 watts. At 2 ohm it does 600 watts, and at 4 ohm it does 300 watts. Are you following ?? Keep in mind that not all amps are 1 ohm stable. Heck some aren't even 2 ohm stable. Okay, now lets talk about the subwoofers. Do you want a SPL (Sound Pressure Level) kind of subwoofer, or a SQ (Sound Quality) subwoofer. I'm going too recomend the TREO Engineering SSI 12.44's http://www.treoonline.com/ssi.html in a sealed box wired for 1 ohm with a Hifonics Brutus BXi 1206D amp. I'm recomending that combo because I know it'll pound hard, sound very good, and put 90% of street set ups too shame.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Check Ebay, you can get some smoking deals on Hiphonics amps. I've been seeing "New in box" going for alot less then Crutchfield prices.

8. TexasA&Mblazer

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Currently I have a older version of the 12" Kicker L7 DVC with 2 ohm voice coils that I've been running a few years with my MMATS D200hc wired for 1 ohm. That Hiphonics amp I recomended is the same power rateing as my MMATS D200hc. Only thing, the Kicker L7 doesn't have the best sound quality in my honest opinion. If you use (1) DVC subwoofer with 2 ohm voice coils you can wire at 1 ohm. Or (2) DVC subwoofers with 4 ohm voice coils for that 1 ohm load.

10. TexasA&Mblazer

Z3PR, first of all, thanks for all the info. :D Second of all, since they're all priced similarly and VERY resonably, (:saweet:) do you recommend the TX1505D, BX1205D, BX 1505D, TXi5006, BX 1500D, BXi 606, TXi 7506, or the BX1605D?

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Have you decided on what subwoofer(s) your going too use yet ?? Choosing a amp you need too take a few things into consitteration. I'll assume you're going with a single Kicker L7 with duel 2 ohm voice coils. If that's the case, then the BXi 1206D (this years model) http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/amps_brutus.html should work fine. The BX1205D is last years model. Basicly the same amp though.

12. TexasA&Mblazer

Yea, I'm planning on going with the new L7 with dual 2 ohm voice coils. I'm guessing the 1205 and 1206 will be about the same price right? Oh and another question. :doah:With this setup , do you think I should get the 5 1/4 inch or 6 1/2 inch Infinity Perfect system? Also, with the Infinity speakers, do you think the 50X4 coming from the HU will be enough? Or should I look into an amp like this http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13116 or this http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13987
    Wow. This car audio stuff is addicting. :doah:

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd deffently use a 4 channel amp instead of the headunit too power the main speakers. Check what the ohms on those speakers are. My Infinity Kappa's are 2 ohm speakers. Out of the new Hiphonics 4 channel amps, I'd look at the TXi 4406 It's of thier Titans series amps. It's rated at 4 x 110-Watts RMS @ 2-Ohms http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/ Yes, car audio can be very addicting, LOL. I'm jonesing for my bass !!!!! My MMATS D200hc quit working on me a few days ago and I sent it in to MMATS for repair. It just isn't the same driving without the bass.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:D :D :D :D [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went with the Kicker bran with all my speakers, because at the time, i really liked them, they are still an awsome speaker, but i have recently heard the new Memphis Audio brand and personally think the sound quality is slightly better (more range in the mids).

The rear ac unit has Fusion tweeters installed, i had to do this after i installed the bigger amp for the subs (runnin 1500w @ 1ohm) those tweeters are awsome as well.

The 6x9's are also Kickers, that sound great, had to make a plate for them to fit there, as you can see, and the front dash speakers were replaced with more Kicker 3.5's.

All in all, it is a TON better than stock sound, rattles the doors, roof, windows, WHATEVER, even the nose hairs :crazy:

My advise, is go to a smaller "mom n pop" type of stereo shop, and tell them what it is you are looking for as far as sound quality, and money concerns.

I went to several places, alot of big names, and all they ever wanted to do was sell me whatever was on sale. This mom n pop store i went to several times, helped me and informed me as to what would be best in my truck, with the amount of money i had available at the time.

And listen to the products and compare the differences in sound.

15. TexasA&Mblazer

Good pics and info! Do you have pics of the dash now? And yes I plan on going to a small store that I know. Is it normal for people to buy their amps/subs/speakers/HUs online and then get a shop that you know does good work to install the equipment? That's what I plan on doing.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You should be able too install alot of it yourself. The headunit is very very easy too install. Just but the dash mounting kit, the wireing adaptor, and the antenna adaptor. I would run the RCA cable at the same time. Also, I would put the remote/lead wire for the subwoofer(s) on a toggle switch. That way you can shut the sub(s) off with a quickness if need be.

17. TexasA&Mblazer

So here's what I'm thinking right now for my setup.

1. Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P5800MP w/ iPod interface adaptor (CD-IB100).

2. Subwoofer: Kicker L7 12" 1500W Dual 2 ohm 06' model.

3. Amplifiers: Hifonics BX 1500D Mono Amp; Hifonics TXi 6406 4 channel 680W (85W X 4 at 4 ohms)

4. Speakers: Infinity Perfect 6.1 Component Speaker Sytem. The reason I need the 6406 amp is because these are rated at 4 ohms. (Something tells me I'm gonna need more speakers than this. Anyone got ideas on other speakers to add?)

It's coming along good!

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think that's a good choice for speakers. I'd run (2) pairs. 1 up front in a set of kick panel enclosures, [​IMG] and 1 set in the rear side panels next too the rear seat arm rest area. You may have too go down to 5 and 1/4 inch for the kick panel enclosures though. The Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 will fit in the Q-forms kick panel enclosures.

19. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

L7's are notorious for failure due to thermal issues (overheating). And seeing as that 1500watt amp is considerably higher output than the L7 is rated for (the L7 is rated for 1500watts peak, not continuous.... that amp is double what it is rated for), Im gonna be the devil's advocate here and say I seriously doubt an L7 can handle 1500watts daily for a very long period of time. For that amount of power Id be looking at some more serious subs, like RE XXX's, Adire Brahma's, JL W7's, or Id look into a pair of subs. Or, Id get a smaller amp, there is no reason you need 1500watts for an L7.

Also, Im not the huge Infinity Kappa fan that alot of people around here seem to be. The tweeters are way to bright/harsh for my liking, and I tend to like metal domes. Two pairs in the front stage sounds... painful to me. I don't really understand why you would need two pairs of comps for the front stage anyway, if you just want louder, I can suggest louder front stages that wont require dual comps/dual amplification/etc.

Id personally just run the rear speakers off the headunit's power, as I only consider that rear-fill anyway.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I thought the talk was (1) pair in the front, and (1) pair in the rear. I try too set my fronts and rears too balance out. I like it too sound just as good in the rear as up front.