Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me chose my new front springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Dec 7, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im deciding between the 52's and 56's...i know its been covered a ton, and i read all the articles that mikey posted into one thread and ive read lots of great info (thanks man:bow: ). im looking to get ~8" of lift or so, and i want to get the most flex i can. im thinking about using the sky-manufacturing SAS cross-member to convert toy's to fullwidth, and they claim thats good for 2" lift. so i have 6" of lift left to get.

now, my drivetrain is going to be very heavy, 6.2 4L80E and doubler. since thats a very heavy setup, would it be better to run 2", 3" or 4" lifted 52/56 springs?

and what i havent really seen any info on is do the 56's really flex any better than 52's? i know that stock 56's have a higher spring rate since they are on heavier duty trucks, but what about in lifted form? it is going to be a street driven truck, but i want flexy for the trails, i'll put limiting straps or some kind of swap bar on if need be.

thanks for any helpful insight

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Call up alcan, get some custon springs. If its a crossmember that give 2" of lift, thats gonna drop the front of the spring 4".

No need to go 52's if you go alcan either. A stock length front alcan 4" lift spring with a good shackle angle will out perfrom a stock 52.

A 6" alcan spring with a good angle will do just as well. To get the right angle you move the shackle the same that you would with a 52" swap but keep the front mount in the same place... Also because this is a custom spring they can move the axle 2" forward. So it will flex as good as anything, you dont have to deal with moving the spring, and you axle still goes forward. All youll have to do is mount the cross member and move the rear mount.

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I like my 56's. are they better than 52's? I doubt it. I only went with them because it was what i had. I figure I have about a 4" lift at the max.

Now if I were starting from scratch (and had $) I would look into an aftermarket spring (Alcan, National, Deaver etc.) and get it set up for YOUR truck.

my friend has a pair of 48" (6" lift) Alcans in the front and they seem to ride and flex as well as my 56's.---It's not a great pic but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

maybe i shouldnt do 52's either, how much are Alcans?