Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me create a great ride!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by brent c, Dec 8, 2005.

1. brent c

brent c Registered Member

I recently purchased a solid 1970 K5 and intend to use it as a convertible only since I live at South Padre Island, Texas. Please give me feedback regarding "do's and don'ts" about an 8" lift and 37-39" tires. I am looking for advice about lift manufacturers, tire manufacturers and wheel manufacturers and sizes (17X9 vs. 17X10, etc.) This is the start, the budget is good and I am all ears. Thanks, Brent (brent@sra-ins.com)

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If you are sticking with the stock axles, you don't want to go over 35" tires.

I would reccomend a 4" or 6" lift, due to less driveline mods vs an 8" lift.

As for wheel sizes, i'd go with an 8 or 10" wide depending on tire width and lift. 17"s are getting more popular due to their "street appeal", but normally the larger the rim, the more expensive and hard to find the tires are.

Tires for 16 and 15" rims are a lot more common and less expensive.

Good luck!

3. echos

echos Registered Member

Dont run boca chica or padre isl beach, the salt will kill it.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

If you're looking for any sort of quality with a taller lift and have the budget find some BDS springs for the truck. Look to spend money on driveline lengthening, regearing and shocks. Rims and tires are in the air for whatever you can find to fit the six lug pattern, for straight crusin stock axles will suit you fine, if you can gear them low enough. Oh yeah and stay out the ocean as mentioned.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

DO:Tell us what you intend to use the truck for. It makes a difference in what will be reccomended. Light wheeling and mostly street driving is a very different (and cheaper) set of upgrades. Building a truly capable and stout offroad truck will take a lot more parts, patience and $$$.....DON'T:Start buying parts until you know what direction you're headed with this buildup. The parts are expensive enough to buy ONCE...if you start buying "upgrade" parts more than once, you will be hating yourself and wasting money you'll wish you still had.1st Gens are great trucks ('69 - '72). There is a specific forum for those K5's on CK5....so check that as well. Also, check the link in my .sig for pictures of a '72K5 on 38s.:usaflag:

6. brent c

70 K5

The truck will be used for light duty wheeling at the beach. It is in great shape and will be totally rust-proofed before exposure to sea. I am going to have it repainted, the carpet removed and the bed lined with LineX on top and below before the beach.

It will maybe see 2500 miles a year - for the kids and the sun.

Thanks,
    BC

7. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

If it were me with the above mentioned use, I would buy a 6" lift, all springs, from Tuff Country or BDS. I would stick with a 35" tire and I would probably keep it at 12.50 wide. Your axles will like that size tire alot better than the larger tires you mentioned. Your brakes will also handle that size tire better. I'm very pleased with the 35x12.50x16 Super Swamper SSR's that I have on my 69 K20. Never used them in sand though so I better let others comment on what would be a good choice tirewise.

8. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

It has been said that narrow rims are poor mans bead locks. Helps to keep the tire on the rim when runnin low air pressure on the beach.

Might want to look to more of an allterrrain tire if all you wanna do is run the beach.

Ive run the sand at Port Aransas many times stock height w/ 31x10.50x15 kelly AT's. I walked around guys runnin big mud terrains w/ lots of lift. Most of the time in 2hi

Never been stuck down there. Pulled out plenty of people though.

9. brent c

So...

If the kids want to build a "Monster Truck" and want "big ol' tires, Dad", do I need to go 8" up to get 37" underneath, or will 6" do? They are 10,8, and 6 and want to cruise the beach in style. I am willing to put a reasonable amount into the truck...so will take your advice and financial thoughts, mutliply by 1.75 and consider!! LOL

Thanks to all,
    Brent

10. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Kids have a heavy foot. I know i do at times being 19. Sand is a little more forgiving than rocks and such but I would stick to 35's max. 35's are pushing what the 1/2 ton axles can handle.
    If you want to go taller with the tires I would look into a 14 bolt SF or FF

I good locker for the rear couldnt hurt either.

When doing tires dont forget about gears.

I'm sure you know cooling is a must in South Texas.

Maybe think about a roll cage, cant be to safe about your kids.

Plus cages look cool in my opinion.

This is all just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

Dustin

(I'm from Victoria by the way)

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if u go soft on the pedal, 37s will last with stock axles, 6" lift is soo much cheaper...trust me :doah: ive got 8" and its alot more work and money. 6" and 35's+ is enought to make any car look like a toy

12. brent c

Thank you

It sounds like I can have a blast with 6" and 35" tires. I guess I could always come back later and add a body lift if I decide to put new axles, etc. and go to bigger tires. Thanks to all of you for your advise!! Happy Wheelin!!

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

welcome to ck5 :D

14. Yukon Jack

That sounds like a good plan, oh, and welcome from me too!

15. brent c

Thanks

Hey, thanks a lot. I have decided to go with a 6" and the 35"s. We will forward pics when complete.

Merry Christmas!!
    BC

16. Yukon Jack

I think you made a good choice. Are you going with the Tuff Country? Will look forward to pics of the install and the completed vehicle.

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The most important thing you can do for your truck is to keep looking here for information. It will save you time and money....and a few gray hairs.

18. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check on the true OD of the different brand tires you are looking at if you want to maximize the tire size you are buying. As an example - 315/75R (35x16) MTRs are actually 34" :mad: