Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me decide! 5.7L or 6.2L

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Taylor, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone, my first post, I have been looking for a blazer for a few weeks and have it down to two trucks.

One is an 85' Blazer
    -New 350, tans, shift kit (8k miles on the new stuff, 140k on everything else), new interior, 4' procomp lift, 33' tires, aburn gears 3.56 (I think).
    $7400

Second is a 90' GMC Jimmy
    -6.2L Diesel, Banks turbo, 96k miles, no lift, new 31' tires.
    $6900

Both of them are in near perfect condition, both drive great, both have stock axels. The price difference is not a big deal. Are there any big pros/cons to either the year or engine type ect..? Which one should I buy??????????????
    Any oppions would be helpfull!! Tks

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

do you have any maintence records on the 6.2? Do they have reciepts from the gas powered vehicle? how do the bodies and interiors compare? Personally i would go with the 6.2.

3. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I agree with rugger03. I am still learning about them, but I would go with the 6.2. I love mine and the mpg is good to. There is a lot of people on here that know what they are doing. They helped me out so much!!

Take care Mike

4. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

The 85' (gas powered) has all the receipts, the 90' (diesel) has no receipts, the current owner has had it for 3 months and knows nothing about cars, but it has a clean carfax report. The bodies are both fantastic, the interior on the 85' is a little nicer (new carpets and dash) but their both in excelent condition.

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I vote for the 6.2, newer, better economy (over 20 mpg), turbo is good, not lifted so less chance of offroad "wear & tear", diesel is probably not as hard to emissions test, no carb, no electronic engine controls. The 85 is carburated and subject to possible emmisions problems.

6. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I own one of each now, diesel and 350. If you plan on driving this truck a lot I would go diesel. With the banks turbo the 6.2 will keep up with a gasser and prob tow better. Diesel will prob pull 20+MPG compared to 9-12 on the gas. My two cents. Good luck,
    Mike

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if i could i would put on in my 74
    plus the money you save you can buy a lift for it. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    grant

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I've got one of each as well! I love my diesel!!!!!! It's what I drive daily!!! My wife's rig has a tbi 350 with soon to be 38.5" tires and I still drive my Diesel which is Stock to Work!!!!!! That should say enough!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Go with the 6.2
    Diesel is hard core.

10. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I just got a 6.2 Jimmy, and it's the BEST. I've been driving around for 5 days on a 10th of a tank and the guage has hardly moved. And EVERYBODY looks when they hear it coming. Mine isn't turbo and it's got plenty of power, but someday I will get the turbo. I suggest you do what I'm doing and change ALL the Fluids and Filters (there's a bunch of them) right away, then there's no doubts.
    But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...
    /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    Eric

11. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone, your posts help me make up my mind! I bought the 90' GMC Jimmy (6.2L) this morning. I'll get some photos posted up soon, and I'm sure I'll have a million questions.
    Tks. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the club!!

13. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Way to go! I wish I could have found my suburban with a 6.2 in it.

14. tackettb

tackettb Registered Member

Wow I'm suprised to hear all the support for the 6.2. Don't get me wrong, I drive an `83 Jimmy with a 6.5 with all the 6.2 injection system, but I get nothing but "stink face" when I tell people I have a pre-duramax GM deisel? I have had nothing but happiness BTW, just thought I was a lucky one.
    /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

15. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

I always though the diesel were undesirable.
    This kid that is going to my school is trying to get rid of his clean 85 for like 2 grand. People here just dont want diesels i guess

16. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

What in the hell are you thinking?! You bought a diesel? Lol, only kidding /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif . Getting a diesel really opens to the door to even more alternative fuels. You can even run the darn thing off vegetable oil if you wanted to. There was quite a long post on the topic about a month ago. I'd be interested to know how much the banks turbo helps. You can tell all the dodge guys nice cummins m'am, but I have a detroit desiel. If you're talking big rigs I like the Detroit better than the Cummins, but lets not being comparing it against a Cat motor /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I love GM, and I love Diesel, but I'd never combine the two, that's for sure.

Gutless is an understatement but at least they're dependable.

18. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Gutless???????? And you are running a 305 in a truck with 35's????? Been there and done that, and I can't imagine anything being any more gutless!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif