Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me decide -- EZ Ride or HD springs from Tuff Country

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tungsten, Nov 24, 2003.

1. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

For my 1986 K5 Blazer. It's got a 305ci mill beneath the hood right now but I will be transplanting a 350 into it sometime early 2004.

The vehicle is 90% onroad driven, 10% light offroad. I'm looking at the Tuff Country 3" suspension lift (both front and rear springs, no blocks) and their SX8000 nitrogen gas shocks.

What would you guys recommend between the EZ Ride and the HD springs for my intended purpose? Tuff Country places a footnote on the HD springs saying that they are best for trucks with big block engines or snow plows up front. Mine will have neither.

So is it as simple as that when choosing?

Thanks.

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

EZ....

Marv

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yep, EZ Rides

John

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yep yep EZ's. Unless you like to feel like your riding a bull everywhere you go.

5. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i have the hd 4inch tuff country up front the rears are ez it looks like the fronts have a small overload. the rears have a lot more flex than the fronts. maybe someone knows are hd fronts the same as ez but have the overload? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep yep EZ's. Unless you like to feel like your riding a bull everywhere you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Tuff Country's HD springs are still softer than everyone else's. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I still say EZ Rides...you have no reason to need the HD's right? No heavy bumpers, winch, or anything like that?

7. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Tuff Country's HD springs are still softer than everyone else's. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I still say EZ Rides...you have no reason to need the HD's right? No heavy bumpers, winch, or anything like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, nothing like that yet. But you never know... this project is just starting! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

If the mods get wacky, I can always replace the springs I guess. I'm pretty sure they won't for reasons stated in my other thread about this Blazer (read: sentimental value).

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you drive on the street a lot, and only do light wheeling... Id get the HD tuff countrys. As mentioned previously, they have a lower spring rate than almost every other brand of spring.. but they are stiff enough that you can actually take corners at more than 3 mph. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The HDs would prolly be less prone to sagging over time too.

j

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They have a good warranty though. Who cares if they sag?

10. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Warranty is good but what's the scoop on the cornering abilities of these trucks with the EZ Ride springs? Is it that mushy?

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ride the bull...get a cushy seat

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Warranty is good but what's the scoop on the cornering abilities of these trucks with the EZ Ride springs? Is it that mushy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. If you have a swaybar I doubt it'd be an issue at all.

13. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

I have EZ's with a big block...still a good choice...

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i have 3" EZ rides, handles great with a swaybar, almost wish it was softer. i want it to float like the rear does with a 2 1/2 shackle flip.

15. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Is 3" a low enough lift to where one doesn't have to get a high angle drive line, get new brake lines, new shocks, modify the steering, etc.?

16. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

When I put on my 4" lift I didn't do anything to the steering or driveshafts. I did put new shocks (RS5000) on because the old ones were past due. I also kept my stock brakelines for about 2 more years after I installed the lift, but I did move the stock bracket down about 2 inches.
    When my brother and I installed his 6" lift on his K5, we put a drop pitman on it for the steering. Kept the stock brakelines on it. Also installed new shocks (not sure which ones) and installed a spacer on the front driveshaft. I know it is more info then you needed, but thought I would add anyways.
    On a 3" lift you should/will be fine going with just springs or spring/block combo. No need to change anything in your steering, shocks, driveshafts, or brakelines. However I would recommend dropping down your brakeline bracket and consider buying longer shocks. These two things will give you a little bit more room in wheel droop. i.e. Fixing such things as bottoming out the shocks and stretching out the brakelines.

17. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is 3" a low enough lift to where one doesn't have to get a high angle drive line, get new brake lines, new shocks, modify the steering, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent Tuff Country an email and asked them about springs / shocks for my application after starting this thread. They recommended the EZ Ride springs and said that you don't have to use a heightened steering arm or anything else like that when you go with less than 4" of lift.

I'll be ordering the 2" kit with SX8000 shocks and a swaybar sometime in the middle of December. Merry Christmas to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I ran the 4" HD Tuff Country springs on my K5 because Stephen at ORD suggested them due to having a winch and winch bumper up front.......... The ride was very good but I attribute a lot of that to RS9000 shocks. Still, if you have no plans for winch, etc up front, might want EZ rides.

19. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone says you dont but i did. blazers have short driveshafts and it gets vibes real easy.

A CV driveshaft isnt neccesary, but would make for a vibe free driveline. with my 3" front and 2 1/2" flip in back i had vibes. tried several different setups, but ended up with a 5 degree shim and 1" spacer for dropping the xfer case.still has slight vibes, even tho both my ujoints are at 9 degrees.

the guy i bought it from had a 2" add-a-leaf in the rear and even that brought up vibes. he used a 2.5 degree shim to raise the pinion yoke, dropped the xfer case 1" and lengthened the driveshaft 1".

a 2" pitman arm is not required but does help with bumpsteer. i've got one, but i still have slight bumpsteer, so i imagine that no drop would be worse. braklines will have to be lengthened if you plan to do any wheeling, even if you dont they will be stretched to thier limits around town. i would recommend 4" stainless steel lines so you'll have plenty of slack and the stock rubber ones tend to expand over time giving uneven braking.

longer shocks will be needed as well, my stock shocks wouldnt even reach at ride height, let alone allow any droop.

20. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Contact Stephen at ORD. Reliable info from a reliable source. Reasonable prices, and he's got that whole "wheeler stuff, for wheelin people, from a wheelin guy" kind of thing going on over there. Everybody here on CK5 can attest to the fact that Stephen is a straight shooter.

EZ-rides! No heavy stuff, why bother with HD?