Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me decide if it'll make it....<---I'm back w/ pics!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys I'm deciding on whether or not my truck can make the trek to Pismo Beach the week after next. Most of you know that we go there every year for a vacation but my dad brought up the idea of me taking my truck this year to cruise around the beach with. I am worried about it but wanted to get your opinions on what might go first with that long of a highway run....

It's right at 160 miles to Pismo from my house and I think that I would be ok but I'm not sure. I'm taking it to our friend's shop so that he can look things over and let me know what he thinks. The p/o said that he took it all the time but I don't really trust everything he said.

This might help..
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&pn1x=&a1x=6273+N+ORCHARD+ST&c1x=FRESNO&s1x=CA&z1x=93710-5426&un=m&cl=EN&qq=1ADqpk24ofDdaMbEZvRfB7HAN8%252bna2j%252bcYm6qCsrO3yIe7qLWZIlGe6AVZxdXOndhVEV6M2TOGHOY6oeYbm3kygwfNusAmSRCYQzMo8oo%252b8BgzBOfqJ5B8Ve2Xg0MUBIrK3nxU1p47WUpUOT4%252bSNsrOZ5uThxDZy&ct=NA&r=f&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=6273+N+ORCHARD+ST&1c=FRESNO&1s=CA&1z=93710-5426&panelbtn=1&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=pismo+beach&2s=ca&2z=

LMK what you all think and what I should take.

Most of you know the specs but if it matters it's an '85 K10 w/ sb350/th700r4/np208/10b/38.5" MT Baja Claws.

Avery

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  2. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

If you watch your temps you should be fine, what gears do you have in your 10 bolt? With 38.5's I wouldn't try all 160 miles at once, your rearend and trans will get pretty hot, maybe like 80 miles then have a nice long lunch, but other then that you should be fine.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

you gonna come to Blazer fest next month? This would be a good test trip to se how it does. Might be able to jump in a group of people driving/towing.

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Because everytime you do something breaks!!! :haha:

I dont like driving my blazer very far either, mainly because 5.13's and 38's arent exactly street friendly. Im sure it will make it, but no telling for sure depends on how the truck has been maintained and taken care of. If anything goes its going to be the tranny if you dont have the right gears in there. Ask me how many 700's Ive gone through, but that was my fault. 700's dont like 38's and 3.73.:doah:

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

you can make it, jus take a break midway there. maybe drain the diffs and put in new synthetic fluid before, actually make sure all of your fluids are up to date

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure if you have a 700 or not but if you do drop it in 3 and you'll be fine, just dont expect to do 80.. thats all

7. Avery4jc

Thanks for the help guys, I'm at work right now but my dad has today off and he is taking the truck over to our friend's shop this morning and he's going to give us his opinion. So you say if I keep it in third gear, stop half way there to let her cool down and before I go top off all fluids including draining the diffs. and replacing the fluid in them too?

I am just worried about breaking down and having to tow it home then still finding a way to get to Pismo.

-Avery

8. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Pretty much any time I take a long (out of state) drive in my truck it breaks down. I just make sure I have enough tools / spare parts to fix it :deal: That's the key, you can't always count on cell phone reception or kind people driving by, so you better be able to get your truck moving under its own power if you want to take it on long trips. :waytogo:

I used to be worried about "what if i BREAK DOWN?!" :haha: But then it happened a couple times, and I'm not so worried anymore.

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Should be fine. Like others said routine maintenance. Watch the RPM's, temps and levels. If you haven't done it in a while repack and inspect wheel bearings is always a good idea.

10. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

my cousin drove his 84 ford from el paso, texas all the way to tampa, florida and stayed there 3 months before coming home!!! it took him a week, 1,500 and had to replace everything on the motor except the engine, he had it overhauled before he left. he got new tires and now his brakes are gonna die.he took off last week in his 95 chevy and made it there in 2 days no problem. just replace anything that u think might break, and all the fluids and you'll be good 2 go!!!!

11. Avery4jc

I'm still here at work and my dad just called me to inform me that the shop inspected the brakes and it looks like just about everything on the rear drums needs to be replaced so I told him to go for it, there's $300 I'll never see again.

Later I'll run by and get some fluids to top things off and look into replacing the fluid in the diffs. I'm getting a little worried about a trip this long but I guess I'll just have to try it sooner or later.

-Avery

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

dude, do the drums yourself. there really easy and will save 200 or more bucks.

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

so with you now, its not a matter of "if" just a matter of when and where :haha:

i just got a funny picture in my head of you towing a big trailer behind your truck with everything from alternators to brakelines to axleshafts to radiators in it. that would be well prepared:bow:

14. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

X2.......any towing or heavy loads should be done in Drive, not OD. I would agree that taller tires would go with that also.

If the rest of the vehicle is pretty sound mechanically, I'd say do it.

15. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

just do it

16. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Whats that, like a 2-2.5 hr drive at 65mph? Do a test run after changing fluids and such, and just carry tools and spare parts. I drove my truck 65 miles south, wheeled it all day, and 65 miles home and only lost a bolt that holds the alternator to the head, which i was able to ghetto-rig with a ratchet strap and vise grips to get me home. :cool:

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

For only 160 miles I would not even think twice about it. I would drive it and wheel it when I got there and then drive it home. Just watch your temps and check everything when you get gas or stop for a leak or what ever. I do not know your truck but I really do not understand the concern of driving 160 miles.

Ira

18. Avery4jc

The concern with it is that I only drive around town and have never taken it out on the road for this "long" of a trip. I'll have the shop take care of it because I'm at work for the entire week until we leave and I don't have the time, plus they have a lifetime replacement deal with them.

I guess I'll just go for it. If we break down I'll figure something out. My original fear was that I don't have a full size spare but that seems to be the least of my fears right now.

-Avery

19. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

do rear disk rear drums are a waste

20. Avery4jc

Once I get my 14ff for the rear I'll do a rear disk swap but for now $300 including labor is worth it for lifetime guaranteed drums that will last me until I swap axles.

-Avery