Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me decide...New truck purchase

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

My wife saw a truck yesterday and told me that I needed to go ahead and buy it. I'm still trying to make up my mind on it and could use a little help. Here's the specs
    81 Chevy Longwide 3/4 ton
    D44 Front
    14 bolt rear
    4.56 gears w/ open diffs
    89 front clip
    New crate 350
    New TH400 tranny
    Rebuilt 205
    Headers
    New edelbrock 750 carb
    6" susp lift
    3" body lift
    40" Monter Mudders
    Custom Tweed Interior
    P/W
    P/L
    Thing is in pretty dang good shape. The body looks BEAUTIFUL on it. I'm not real high on the body lift, but I could easily cut it down to about 1.5" or so. The tires prb. have about 15-20k miles left on them. Price is $7000.

Waddya think?

Kyle
    89K5

2. BigBoy truck

BigBoy truck Registered Member

i would buy it if the body is in good shape. Everything sounds good on it. Trucks like that down here are hard to find everyone thinks if it has anykind of lift it is worth at least 3000 more than what it should be

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i would look at the frame real close, check the body for big amounts of rust. if nothing is found sounds like a good deal.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5>http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5</a>

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

What are you going to use it for? That is a lot of truck especially for a daily driver. The price seems fair though.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo71>My K5 Stuff</a>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

sounds really high to me. Not fuel injected? No D60? I see '87-'91 1 tons around here sometimes for that price range. Personally I'd keep looking. But if it's what you want, jump on it.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

6. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Your wife "told" you that you should buy it?? Wow..mine tells me that I should not!
    All kidding aside, that seems a little high in the price.
    A new 89 front clip might mean it's been wrecked, or that he liked that years design...who knows
    $7,000 for that truck it better have NO rust on it at all, body mounts, firewell, tailgate etc... NO dents, bondo etc...
    Remember also that if you wreck it and or total, the insurance company will want to pay you the Blue Book value
    For that truck (81) it's about $3000 on the high end

"What ever happened to my Rock N Roll?"

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like a sweet ride (and a really cool wife!) [​IMG] But $7,000 seems pretty high for an '81. That rig is over 20 years old! [​IMG] For that kind of cash it should be nearly show truck quality and run perfectly.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Actually, I am thinking daily driver/work truck. I'm really looking hard for a good 4x4 long bed, just having trouble finding anything.

This truck has "0" rust what-so-eva!! I'm thinking real hard about this one, it's a nice truck, but I don't know if it's what I really want, or if I want to start with a stocker and work my way up.

Tough call.

Kyle
    89K5

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I can't comment on the price... just because rust free stuff here in the rust belt is worth a lot more then down south, but sounds like a place to start talking. In terms of the axles... yeah it is only three quarter ton, but hey you wanna ditch them a lot of people would like the 4.56's, myself included. I guess it depends on what you want it for... if you wanted to deck out the Blazer then it probably wouldn't be all that great of a daily driver with no FI, 40's and no OD. But it would make a nice hardcore trail rig if you decided to keep the Blazer a daily, are ok with the longer wheel base, and toss one some one tons and a BBC in that baby!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That's the kicker of it all, my Blazer is borderline daily driver too. No interior, softop, and 36's make it tough to take folks out on business trips.

The truck on the other hand wouldn't be much better, but it would have a bed that I can haul stuff in if need be.

DAMN WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE TOUGH!!!!! [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well I would say hold out for a smaller 3/4 ton pickup... maybe one with FI. Then you would be able to throw stuff in the back much easier, get better milage, and maybe even use it to tow the Blazer. You can probably save a little money that way as well. Then use the rest of the cash to go insan-o on the blazer [​IMG] Just my $.02

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

12. ben794X4

ben794X4 Registered Member

sounds really high to me. I payed 2k for my 79 that was a true "clean 1 owner" rig and just saturday a buddy of mine bought a 79k5 w/ 14bff d-60 front 205 and a 454 for 3500.

79 4x4 k5 stock
    3spd granny stock 350
    12 bolt open rear
    10 bolt open front
    Subvert the accepted paradigm.

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Thinking I may go drive it after work today and give it one more shot. I'm really thinking no on this one unless he comes off about another $2k [​IMG] . As much as I like what it is, there are enough things on it that I would change when I get it to maybe not make this as good a deal as I was hoping for.

BTW, if any of you know of a good 87 3/4 ton chevy for sale with a good body/interior, let me know. Those were the reasons I was buying this one, well except for the 87 part. I need a work/tow/toy/daily truck to replace the blazer.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Kyle
    89K5

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Up here that truck would bring nearly twice that $7k. I vote go for it if it's really as nice as you say.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Kyle, pm thatk30guy (wes)... He had a few leads on nice clean k30s up there in kansass.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>