Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me decide on a handgun...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mr_blasto, Jul 18, 2005.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I am looking to get a handgun primarily for home/personal protection. I think that a 40 s&w sounds like a better round for my needs than a 45 ACP/GAP. I need a little direction as far as which gun to get. I am settled on a semi-auto and wouldn't consider a revolver.

After talking with him it seemed like the springfield XD would be a pretty good way to go. They have a 3", 4", and 5" model, and I think I would go with the 4". You can get stuff like night sights and even a ported barrel for not much more. I am not new to guns, but I am not really sure what is out there right now. Would this be a good gun for me? Are there any others I should look at closely? What do you have?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the XD kicks ass i have one so im a little bias
    but it is a really good shooting gun, you dont really need the ports, its kinda up to you
    but i love it i got the 4" in 40s&w great gun!!!!

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Large caliber= takedown with one shot, Buy what ya like :D

4. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

The guy I was talking to told me that a 45 and a 40 have about the same take down power within 20ft (anything further than that probably isn't self defense). After 20 ft the 45 has more stopping power, but the 40 is going to be more accurate. With the 40 you get a few more rounds. 40 ammo is cheaper than 45. Also target acquisition after firing a round with a 40 is going to be faster than with a 45 because there is a little less recoil. This information is what I was told, is that all right or is some of it bogus?

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I just like my .45's that's all!

6. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get the most reliable gun that you can reflex point the most accurately.

Look at an object in the room. Close your eyes. Point the gun. Open your eyes and see how far off you are.

Caliber (.40 vs. .45) and follow-up shots don't mean beans if you can't put the lead on the target when it counts.

If you like the gun and it points well FOR YOU, buy it.

Just my $.02......

:D

7. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I've got a Glock 22 40.cal.....I love it...... I use it for my primary weapon at work, and its also my bed side gun. You can do pickup a glock out of the mud and it will fire. They are good guns, and simple to operate, point an click. lol.

Glocks do not have a actual safety, but since you are not new to guns, this shouldn't be a problem. You just have to be more carefull with a glock, when kids are around.

I've shot the XD, and its a good gun also.......I'd shoot both of them, an which ever i felt most comfterble with i'd buy it. The gun store your buying your weapon from should let you shoot'em before you buy....if they dont, find another gun store that will.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a 40 s&w and i love it. the most important thing is to get one that feels comfortable in your hands. if you get one that feels good in your hands you will shoot much better than if you get one that don't

9. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Downside to both .40 and .45 is that the rounds will go through most homes. I'd suggest a slide action shotgun for home d. It has great intimidation value and will be less likely to cause collateral damage.

For handguns I prefer the old standby .45acp and hollow points. That said, I'd be reluctant to pull it out with my family in the home unless they were secured behind me.

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

40 S&W is an OK round and will probably serve you well.. I, however, have never liked it and find it to be inaccurate. My defense preference is .45auto or .357sig.

In those calibers, the gun of choice would be a 1911 (any of them) and the Sig 229.

If you do go with .40, then the obvious gun choices are the Glock (don't care for it but it's stone cold reliable) and the XD (better.) The less obvious choice is a Browning Hi-Power Mark III .40. You get the ergonomics of the BHP, which are legendary, and the caliber you desire. It is an excellent firearm. I believe CZ also makes the 75B in .40, which should be a good firearm. My 75B is 9mm, so I can't personally vouch for the .40 model.

Another point to consider is that for strictly home defense, a pump 18" shotgun might be better. You do have issues of overpenetration of interior walls. Depending on how your house is set up and who else lives there, this may or may not be a concern for you. I keep 00 buck and reduced recoil slugs in mine.

11. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Glock model 30 45 acp.

12. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Lots of good points - thanks. At the store they compared the springfield side by side with the glock and the parts on the springfield looked much beefier (cast rather than stamped) plus it had some added features like two safety's (one on the trigger and one at the back of the grip), chambered round indicator (you can feel and see the indicator), hammer/firing pin indicator thingy and it was cheaper to boot! The guy said that the springfield has tighter tolerances, but that isn't always a good thing. He mentioned that the reason glocks can be fired after dropping them in the mud is because there tolerances are a little more sloppy so mud doesn't booger them up.

I have a couple shotguns already and yes that is the ultimate home defense weapon, but a shotgun is not always as practical/manuverable/storable/concealable. Not sure if this would change considerations, but my wife will be shooting it too.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i shot the glock and the XD on the same day the glock felt super sloppy, i just shot alot better with the XD
    but most important is you shoot what ever gun you want first before you buy!!

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you want a .45, look at the CZ 97 B.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  15. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Overpenetration can be an issue with any weapon. There are numerous cartridges on the market designed to fragment instead of going through a wall. I keep Glaser Safety Slugs in my 1911A1 .45. They are not a target round, but will go where you aim at 10-15 feet. I agree about the intimidation factor of a shotgun, however they require alot more room to manuever.

16. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Would over penetration be less of an issue with hollow points being that they expand on impact and would have a lot more resistance slowing them down as they move through an object/person? Just a thought.

If anyone else has any ideas of handguns I should consider AND why I should consider that model or caliber I would appreciate it. I clicked the link to that gun in a previous link and sat there saying to myself, "ok, so why would this be better or worse than anything I am already considering :confused: " Help me out here, I want to make the right decision the first time.

Good point to shoot a few different guns.

17. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a Beretta....so maybe I'm just a bit prejudice ;) :D

edited.JPG

18. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The main problem with auto loaders overpenetrating-the nose of the round has to be hard enough not to deform when coming out of the mag, and hitting the feed ramp.Glaser Safety Slugs are kinda like a shotgun shell load, multiple projectiles in a plastic nose.I am partial to Springfield automatics. I have had my 1911A1 almost 6 years, shot probably 5000 rounds through it. Whatever make you buy, get a LARGE assortment of different ammo and find the ONE that ALWAYS feeds, then put in the gun for home use.I am partial to the ....45acp round myself, trained with it for years. It starts off at a size that the .40 might expand to, just my opinion. You could always make up a small practice wall with 2 2x4s and 2 pieces of sheetrock, then take it out and see which round or rounds does the least damage. How bout a single shot Thompson Contendor with the .45LC/.410 barrel? Load it with a .410 shell #8s, just don't miss the first shot.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

20. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Like Jek says, the H&K USP. I have the .40 compact. Very easy to carry concealed. I have put more rounds than most through mine and the only real jam was when an lady severly limp wristed it. I have had numerous ladies shoot mine and they all liked it. Very easy to use safety, that does not slip off when carrying, or at least it never has on me. I like the H&K as I know that it will always work, kind of important for a concealed carry gun.

As for over penetration, you might check out the Glasser safety ammo. I have not tried it, but have read some good reviews on it in gun magazines.