Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me decide on college! Quick before May 1st!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chevy305, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Which school?

Poll closed May 2, 2007.
  1. University of Rhode Island

29.4%
  2. Massachusetts Maratime Accademy

35.3%
  3. Eroll in both schools nekkid!

35.3%
  1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok so I am a senior right now and will be graduating in about a month or so. And I have been accepted to 5 out of the 6 colleges I applied to. Now I have narrowed down my options and my two favorite schools are the University of Rhode Island and Massachusetts Maritime Accademy. I really cannot decide between the two schools. I am in quite the dillema because I have to make up my mind by May 1st.

I am looking at the mechanical or ocean engineering programs at URI and the marine engineering at Mass Maritime. Both schools are very reputable and I believe that I will be able to do pretty well coming out of either schools.

At Mass Maritime I am pretty much guarentied serveral job offers after I graduate. And starting salaries are between $60-80K per year. And graduates are held very high in the work place and I have the opportunity to be making in the 6 figure range within about 2 years of graduating.
    For this alone I'd go to MMA but then again they run a reginmented college similar to a military regimine. So every morning you have to go through room inspections and colors. Also there are uniforms(no biggie with me) and you have to shave your head(huge biggie with me!). So basically I'd have to put up with 4 years of crap then I would be making more money than I know what to do with.

On the other side there is URI which is a typical state university. I'd get the typical college experience (ex. partying 24/7 :D ). Also URI is 10mins from beatiful Rhode Island beaches. Plus there is also a hell of a lot more girls there than there are at MMA. Even though I may not neccessarily be guarentied a job leaving URI I don't think I will have too much trouble getting one. I may not make as much right off the bat but I'd still be making a very good salary for a college grad probably somewhere around the $50k range.

So I am stuck, I cannot figure out which is the right fit for me. And I have very little time to make this decision. I have visited both campuses many times and I feel at home on both campuses. I have talked to students and faculty from both schools and I like what they all had to say.

This is kinda fustrating for me I cannot figure out which school I should go to! Please give me your opinion on this. :dunno: :screwy:

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Go to MMA. Get the degree that gets you the better pay as it will pay off in the long run. Also, less girls mean less distractions so you can concentrate and get your work done efficiently. You will have time for girls after you get done with MMA.

3. Chevy305

Ya true...

I hear that girls dig the uniform :pimp:

4. Chevy305

ttt

I need more opinions!!!

5. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Girls REALLY dig $80k a year. Suck it up and do the 4 years in a "REAL" school. That will only leave 60 years for drinking and chasing tail but you will get over it:p:

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

go to the state school, college is not just about the classes its about the experence, Classes come first for me but the social life is nice to have, personaly i could not put up with all the room inspections and such, as the average college student my room is pretty messy at times

7. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If i were you, id go to URI, it sounds like you'd have a better time. im not a big fan of the military like atmosphere, but thats just me. Plus it's 10 min's from beaches.

But you have the final decision

Tom

8. Chevy305

You know this is my dilema... I love to party and I love girls, but I also really want to make crap loads of cash.

On the topic of the beach, I'm not exactly sure where the nearest beach is to Mass Maritime, but it IS on the water. It's at the end of the capecod canal right before Buzzard's Bay. Its actually a beautiful view.

At URI they have a remote campus that is also on the water that is for any of the marine type majors like ocean engineering. Its just for some of the classes, but I'd spend the majority of my time on the main campus. URI's off campus housing for upper classmen is ocean view. Its awsome! My sister's boy friend goes there and he lives in the off campus housing apartments and the view is amazing with a beach in walkable distance.

So basically both campuses are on the water in one way shape or form.

9. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

URI for sure. You'll do fine when you graduate from there, and you'll have a MUCH better time than you would at MMA. I have some cousins that go to Citadel and they really don't like all the regulations. They're constantly being reprimanded for staying out past curfew and other stupid stuff like that.

Go to URI and get a real college experience.

10. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Quit thinking with the little head, and start thinking with the big head.:D You would probably benefit more from MM.:D

11. Chevy305

Dammit this poll is all tied up! 3-3

I really thought I'd get more people to at least vote in the poll...

12. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Texas A&M ......

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Kansas State.....

14. TexasBlazerBoy

The University Of Texas :D

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

16. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go somewhere there's sun and bikini's. WTF is there to do in Massachutes and Rhode Island?

17. Chevy305

Ok so my desicion is Massachusetts Maritime Accademy!

It was a difficult desicion to come to but I decided to grow some balls and go with them. I can put up with the regimental lifestyle for the four years and then I can make lots of money!

I think that just typing out the advantages to each school really helped me make a desicion. Thanks to those who replied! ;)

18. Chevy305

Well I realized I forgot to mention the Sea Term at MMA. Every Jan-Feb for those two months we go our on the training ship Enterprise to cruise around the Carribean and go through the Panama Canal. Aparently we spend 3-4 days at each port where all the legal drinking ages are 18 :wink1:. Plus I know girls that go for the uniform.

Here is the ship we use:

[​IMG]

19. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

:shame: :screwy:

20. TexasBlazerBoy

:doah: :surepal: :dunno: :1zhelp: :yikes: :shame: :deal: :eek: :wink1: :eek1: :D