Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me decide on this Dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I usually don't pay much attention to axle posts, but today is my turn. I found a rear Dana 60 ff with 4.11 gears and some kind of locker in it in good condition for $190. That's less than I was willing to pay for Moser axles for my current 12 bolt. Is this a good deal?

I've noticed most people usually swap 14 bolts in their rears, is there any reason for this? Are there any disadvantages in having a dana 60 rear instead of a 14 bolt?

The axle is currently in the rear of a late 70s Ford truck. The owner is sure that this axle will fit my Blazer. Is he right? If not, are the only differences the spring perches and shock mounts?

Finally, since this axle has 8 lugs and I currently have 6 lugs axles, I'll have to hunt for a new front axle too. Which axle is the best and in which vehicles should I look them in?

Thanks for your comments.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The reason we all put 14 bolts in our K5's is cause they are everywhere. They are inexpensive, they are strong as hell, and they bolt right in. That D60 will most likely need the spring perches cut off and rewelded, shock mounts might need to be as well.

3. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

One minor disadvantage of the Dana 60 rear as opposed to the C14FF is that it has a 9.75" ring gear as opposed to the 10.5" ring gear on the C14FF. I think that $190 is a screaming deal. I'll bet you would have to move the spring perches and the shock mounts, but you are not going to break the Dana 60 unless you are some kind of jumper/nitrous maniac. I wonder if you might someday want to upgrade to a C14FF after putting in the Dana 60, though. If you are going to keep the Dana 60, say, forever, I would get it. You probably already know to go easy on that axle housing when you weld on it. I would get an actual spline count on the axleshaft at the side gear because there are some weak D60 rears out there. Look for 35 or 32 splines and 1.5" axleshafts. I swear I once saw a Dana 60 front with 1/2 or 3/4 ton locking hubs on a late 70s 3/4 ton Chevy.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, the C14FF is much stronger than a rear D60. The rear D60s typically are considered a bit weaker than their front counterparts due to low spine count shafts. I'm not 100% sure if that applies to all of them or just some. I'm pretty sure the D60 can be redrilled for 6 lug but I can't say for sure. The spring pads will also (as previously stated) need moving as will shock mounts and you will need an adapter u-joint. Brake (hydro and E.) may need some minor adjustments. On the up side, the D60 rear weighs much less than the C14 and has better clearance. Even though it is not a strong as a C14FF, I'm sure it beats a typical built 12 bolt. If the axle is good and you don't mind the work and cost of the mods, it is probably a good upgrade.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.