Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me decide what tires to get - 38" TSL or 37" Bogger

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Nov 19, 2002.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Help me decide what tires to get - 38\" TSL or 37\" Bogger

I'm in the process of swapping in a Dana 60 front (already have a 14FF rear) and will then be ready for some bigger tires. My original plan was to stay with my current 15" 8-lug rims and grind the calipers, but a friend has a set of 16x10 Rockcrawlers I can buy for cheap. I'm debating over either the 38x13-16 TSL or the 37x13-16 Bogger. Gearing and fender clearance are not an issue. The truck is only used for the trail but does currently get driven to the trail (or unless until I can get a trailer). The trails we run are the typical midwest/southern type with lots of clay, mud, ruts, roots, and some rock ledges. Let me hear your comments.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: Help me decide what tires to get - 38\" TSL or 37\" Bogger

<font color="blue">The 38s will be a little taller, and will have better side traction. However a tire groover can help the boggers with that too

3. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I would probably go with 38" TSL/SX

4. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i'm running boggers right now do a little of everthing with them my buddys burb runs the tsl's better road milage there is just somethin about the boggers that i'm partial to TRACTION!!!
    just my 2 cents!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I just had some 38" TSL mounted on Friday. The first tire was 25 ounces out of balance, then they turned it 180 degrees on the rim and it went to 21 ounces out. The closest to being balanced they could get it was 11 ounces out. That was the worst, the best they could get any of the 5 tires was 1.25 ounces out.
    You did mention it was a trail only vehicle, so I wouldn't worry to much about the balancing.
    I went from nearly new 36" TSL radials to the 38" TSLs and that was the difference between night and day as far as road characteristics. The 38's will beat you to death on the road. However, I have already decided that my K5 will be a mainly trail vehicle with very little road driving, except to the trail.
    I tried them out at Disney, OK on Saturday and they performed about the same as the 36's TSL radials, although I really didn't do any hardcore trails, because I was there by myself...
    Here is a pic of the new 38's mounted on some 16x10 MT Classic IIs. - Nice poseur shot...
    [​IMG]

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I like the SX's but they don't really offer anything in 16" sizes. The TSL's have the following advantages: about $30/tire cheaper, "should" be slightly taller, better road manners and wear (though I probably only put a couple of thousand miles a year on it). The main disadvantage is that they are not Boggers!

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

what Diz full this past weekend? did you have to go-it alone?

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    what Diz full this past weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is that some Kansas talk?
    Yeah, I ended up going by myself with the people that won the "Offroading Adventure" give away. I just stayed on the rocks mostly. I did go back down the blue and start of the green trails back in the woods. My quests did not want to try the hill climbs.