Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me decide !!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lance, May 2, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Alright, I am at somewhat of a crossroads. I've got most of my trucks bugs worked out and I'll be able to drive it very soon after my new tranny/tranny cooler/radiator install is completed. These last few items took most of the money I had been saving for mods. That's where y'all come in, help me figure out how I should approach the next phase of my project so I get the most bang for my buck.

You can see a basic run-down of my current set-up in my profile.

I have a budget of about $1K, with the following "wish list" of mods.

1. New 4.88 or 5.13 gears, plus rear detroit and front lock-right.

2. Hummer wheels. I already bought the set of wheels, just need to get them re-centered and new 38's or 39's to run them, but it kinda of goes with #1.

2. SYE for 241 transfer case w/ new front shaft and rear CV shaft. Currently, I have stock lenght rear shaft and b*****d u-joint which as we all know isn't ideal. (Would have liked to have done the doubler, but didn't have the finances necessary to do all the mods at the time my tranny crapped out. It is on my long range plan of modifications)

3. Rhino-line (or similar) inside the body tub. (I do not have the patience necessary to Herculine the interior.)

4. Family cage similar to one on sidslc's k-5. (My instincts say do this mod first, because safety is most important, but it creates more mods that need to be done at the same time.)See it here. Which brings up another point, what would a cage like that cost to be built, assuming all things are equal?

5. Cross-over steering w/ hydro-assist.

6. Body armor (sliders, front/rear bumpers).

7. Warn HS9500 winch.

8. New exhaust from manifold back.

As you can see, my current set-up has several weak links. If you were in my shoes, with the budget I have, what would you absolutely do first and in what order would you do the rest.

Thanks for the advice,

Lance

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

winch and rhino liner. that way you can still go out and hopefully make it back.

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Winch with a solid winch bumper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would concentrate on the things necessary for the truck to get back on the road(not to mention to be safe on the road) then look at the off-road goodies like the body armor, winch, rhinoliner etc. Is it an option to wait and save some more cash because that 1k will be gone faster than Opra can eat a baked ham...

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    winch and rhino liner. that way you can still go out and hopefully make it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Winch with a solid winch bumper.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that is two votes for purchase a winch first. Thanks y'all, for the input.

[ QUOTE ]
    I would concentrate on the things necessary for the truck to get back on the road(not to mention to be safe on the road) then look at the off-road goodies like the body armor, winch, rhinoliner etc. Is it an option to wait and save some more cash because that 1k will be gone faster than Opra can eat a baked ham...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's basically road worthy, minus the tranny / cooling problems I'll be correcting shortly. I know the money saved won't go a long way, but what do you suggest? I haven't driven my rig in over 9 months and I'm really eager to take her out and enjoy her. That is why we build our trucks, isn't it? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Will the new gears help this tranny live longer?
    That would be my 1st pick.

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Will the new gears help this tranny live longer?
    That would be my 1st pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Rob!! I hadn't really thought of that. I don't have the money saved to do it all right now, but maybe I should put it away until I can save the rest I'll need.

Thanks,

Lance

8. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That would be your best bet, you'll be able to geta good package deal buying it all at once.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

tough call.. what gears do you have now? If you have big tires and 373 gears or something then naturally the gear swap would be more important. Just my opinion, but I'd get the cage, xover, and the gears... in that order. If you have some friends that can get ya discounts, help ya weld/fab and install gears ya oughta be able to get it done with the $ ya got...

j

10. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    tough call.. what gears do you have now? If you have big tires and 373 gears or something then naturally the gear swap would be more important. Just my opinion, but I'd get the cage, xover, and the gears... in that order. If you have some friends that can get ya discounts, help ya weld/fab and install gears ya oughta be able to get it done with the $ ya got...

j

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got 36's w/ a 4.10 ratio. With the new 28,000 GVW cooler combined with not using OD, I think my tranny should survive the next couple of months until I can afford new gears.

I've thought about this alot and I think I have devised a plan of attack. My plan is to get a S&W Race Car cage for the cab and do the cross-over/high steering set-up (w/ no hydro assist) for now. I must admit, I did spend a little of my budget yesterday on a new bumper from 4x4 iron, but the deal was just too good to pass up.

I think with this approach I should be able to safely enjoy wheeling this summer, then, when winter rolls around, I should have enough saved for new gears and maybe enough to do some more of my wish list.

So does this plan sound reasonable?

Thanks for the input,

Lance