Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me design a system for my K10

Discussion in 'Audio' started by cybrfire, Mar 2, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, Been doing some work on my daily driver pickup lately and would like to put in a stereo. It hasn't had any system for the last year or so and I would like to listen to something again.

Don't need huge sound. I'm on a budget. Just need to pick a CD player and some door speakers and maybe something behind the bench. The bench will eventually be buckets with a console that flips up to a middle seat if that makes a difference. Don't know squat about stereos so help me out here.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Headunit, I'm a big fan of JVC, but get what you like. The kicker solobaric subwoofer (L7) is designed to work in a small box. You could proble get one made that'll fit behind you seat. Personally, I think a single 10" or 12" L7 would be pleanty of bass in a pick up. I really like the component speakers (Sepreat midrange and tweet) in the kick panals. Amp ?? Watch Ebay, you can get some good deals.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

So if you put a 10" sub behind the seat, You would be pointing the speaker at the back of the seat or down or back? I can build the enclosure no prob but don't know which way the speaker should point. Does that also mean an amp is required to drive the sub?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If there was a way to point it down, I'd probably do that. I've been in trucks where the subs play directly into your back.....it gets annoying.

Playing it into the floor would help the vibrations to "couple" with the metal of the cab and hopefully reinforce the sound better. Also, it might help to create a better "illusion" of non-directional bass.

Small pickups are tough environments for hiding subs....no doubt about that.

(...and yes, a subwoofer will require a power amp to drive it) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

just get a decent head unit, jvc, I like alpine the best. Door speaker's, I love Infinity Kappa's awsome clarity, you could get into all kinds of exp speakers and decks, but determine how much money you want to spend then go from there. YOu could get away w/ only one amp if you let the deck run the speaks and one amp is lot easier to run than 2, even though 2 is not that hard /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I recently bought a pioneer W1500 10" rated at 2 or 8 ohms, 600 watts rms power. Was, was I say, an awsome speaker, but the guy who sold to me (was in boise at the time) gave me too small box. He said to line it so speak thinks it has more space. Whatever /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif speaker flexed too much and spring came out the bottom.
    Dual Voice coil, I love those things. Can't wait to get another, but this time am getting a custom box /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif