Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me determine what shock length i need. *pics included*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Feb 26, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i just installed some furd SD shock mounts, and thought i could use some brand new sx8000 tuff country rear shocks up front, since there longer i thought they'd work, well i was wrong, the shaft is 12 inches fully extended and 10 inches installed... thats a wopping 2 inches of droop.

Now the engine/tranny/tcases arent installed yet, so i know they will help with that, but anyway, the mounts from eye hole to eyehole are 28 inches apart, what length shock do i need? i'm thinking it'll lower an inch or 2 max with the weight on.

This is actually 28 inches, i sliped before the shot
    [​IMG]

this is the 30 inch shock fully extended measured from eye to eye, the shaft is 12 inches
    [​IMG]

just a general idea of where the shock mount it:confused::confused::confused:
    [​IMG]

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Also I was thinking of some sort of remove reservoir, I saw a few months back a comparison where edelbrocks won’t over the others, what are the top candidates today? I’d like adjustable too.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ttt i'm inpatient.. lol anyway from what i've seen the 14 inch travel is what i need, here are the specs

oh btw, are these adjustable?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bilstein 14" Travel 7100 Series Remote Reservoir Shock

- Ext. Length = 35.04"

- Col. Length = 20.99"

- Travel = 14"

- Shaft Size = 14mm

- Mounting Size = 1/2"

[/font]

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what is the destance between the bumpstop and the spring plate? this will tell you how much uptravel you need to have on the shock.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Unless the mounts are straight up and down, you won't need that much distance in order to hit the bumpstop, but that's a good start.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Bilstein 5150s. Not adjustable but do you really think you need adjustable?

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

the reason i wanted adjustable so bad is that when i play in the sand dunes, sometimes you need speed to make it up long hills, and if you dont let off soon enough your front end comes off the ground, i've runied some springs like that, so i thought if i tuned my shocks to stiff i could worry less in the dunes but still make them soft for crawling or when i drive on the streets