Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me figure out what heads i wanna get

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VisionxOrb, Nov 16, 2003.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Ok, heres the situation, have a rebuilt motor(pulled from the blazer) in the camaro with your basic 76cc smog/junk heads. broke a rocker that took the vavle with it so Im pulling the heads but I dont want to put any money into heads them im gonna change later on so Im gonna get new heads now. I was looking at the chevy head flow database (chevyhiperformance.com) and the vortecs out flow everything but AFRs and canfield. Know I know scoggin dicky sells upgrades vortec heads but I really want to run roller rockers for piece of mind and I dont think I can on these because they dont mention guide plates and Id rather not have to work on them before I put them on so, what about the jegs heads, I thought I remeber reading that those were canfields?? ao they should flow good ya? and thoughts greatly apreciated.

P.S I need a head I can get very soon so I cant do the AFRs they take like 6weeks to get and i need these asap.

P.P.S These are right now going on a mild 350 w/ flat top 4 relive valve pistions and mild came but eventually are gonna wind up on a 383 with and comp xe274 cam.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Edelbrock E-Tecs outflow Vortecs(aluminum too), Fastburn GMs are nice(e-tecs and Fastburns are almost the same). Fastburns are aluminum as well. You can run Roller Rockers on vortecs you just have to get self aligning roller rockers. Can't use guideplates on vortec heads cause with the self aligning rockers it would casue binding in the pushrod. If you want cheap go with Vortecs, if you don't mine spending almost a grand on heads go with E-Tecs or Fastburns. Both E-Tecs and Fastburns are Vortec based heads that use the special Vortec intakes.

3. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

My vortec heads are doing great with guide plates. I got the upgraded ones from scoggin dicky your talking about and they come with screw in studs. One of the reasons you want to run guide plates is so you dont have to use self aligning rockers. I havent seen any thing on the E-Tech heads but If they flow the same as Fastburn then they flow the same as Vortec. The only differance between Vortec and fast burn is Fastburn are aluminum and they have a heart shaped combustion chamber not a d-shaped chamber like Vortec. I don't see why that would make them flow better just a better more efeciant burn and they can handle a little more compresion. Your best bet is to call Scoggin Dicky tech line and see if Vortec heads will do what you want (I think they will) unless you want to spend the extra money on the fasburn heads.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hard to beat the World Product Dart 2 heads. You can get them through Jeg's. Not sure what the compression would be, but a 64cc head would pump it up some. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I have for words for ya...

Summit Racing
    Trick Flow

I have a set of the angle plug, aluminum, non-vortec. I run a full roller rocker on them. with a flat-top piston makes roughly 10.1:1 compression. (64cc chambers) 2.02(i), 164(e)

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

I've got the dart heads with extensive time on the flowbench. 2.05 intake valves and I can't remember the exaust valves, but they flow like crazy. The shop that built these said they would flow very close to AFR's. AFR are very nice, but I'm happy with my Dart 2 heads.

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Make sure of your exhaust options if you decide on angle plug heads. I'm having some fun with that situation right now since not every company makes headers that will fit the angle plug heads.

Smitty

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Hedman makes a set of headers that will fit a first gen with angle plug heads... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have them on right now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

World Products. Cheap, work with your stock intake, don't require special rocker arms, etc.

Otherwise, get the AFR and wait. If ya need heads to run temporarily go to the junkyard.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no if you read flowbench scores both the e-tecs and the fastburns flow better than vortech heads, I will look at digging up some numbers.

11. VisionxOrb

[ QUOTE ]
    I will look at digging up some numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This would be great thank you, its a pain in the a$$ trying to figure out the best value since your only doing somthing once ya know!

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

13. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Hmmm.... I never looked at a flow chart I just trusted the GM description of the heads when they said Fastburn were just an aluminum version of the Vortec with heart shaped combustion chambers. And the only person I've ever heard mention the E-tech heads saed they were E-brocs version of the Fastburn.
    I didn't read the whole article on those sites did they get thos flow #'s with equal sized valves? I kind of wonder because acording to GM with equal sized valves the Vortecs outflow the Bowtie heads.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For comparison purposes all heads were fitted with 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves, except the Brodix Track-1, which was delivered with 2.080 intake valves, the Vortec, which had 1.94 intake and 1.50 exhaust valves, and the Fast Burn heads which used 2.00 intake and 1.56 exhaust valves. All flow ratings in CFM. Color red indicates highest flow at that valve lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 2.02 valved Vortecs would outflow, I'd prefer Fastburns for the whole aluminum aspect.

15. VisionxOrb

ok the question is, if i went E-Tec's should take the 170s or go to the big dogs at 200, im thinking 170 but when i move to the 383 dont know if ill need the larger heads.

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/41598/index5.html

Just some more comparisons for you....Pay attention to the flow numbers in the .300 - .400 lift range....Lots of decisions to make.

The way you want your motor to end up should dictate the parts that go into it....You are looking for a beautiful harmony with the components so that motor will sing for ya....

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

What do you want the motor to do? Do you like to wind it up a bit? Looking at your possible cam selection, I would have to say you are wanting more top end power. If this is the case, then I would go with the next bigger version.

If you are looking for more grunt, then a smaller cam and the smaller heads will be the hot ticket....

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Someone should jump in here and give you an idea on what the smog police will allow in that Nazi state....

19. VisionxOrb

this is actually for my 72 so no smog police

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Then have at it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif