Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me figure out what to do w/ my tranny problems.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, May 1, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so my 700r4 crapped out on me and now i'm debating going w/ the sm465 or rebuilding the 700r4. please don't turn this into another 700's suck thread - i don't need to hear that crap, i've read it a thousand times. here's my concern, i had my diesel engine balanced recently and now if i swap to a flywheel instead of my flexplate i will lose that balance job. how much is this going to hurt the longevity of my engine? also, are the flywheels different between the diesel and gas engines?

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why did your 700 crap out on you? I like autos myself but thats just cause I am lazy. a 700 can live behind darn near anything it just has to be built right if you do rebuild it do your homework and don't skimp. Plus in a desiel you will lose your overdrive so your cruising RPMs will go up

3. colbystephens

well, in anything if you lose overdrive your cruise rpms will go up. i don't know why it died - i only ran it for a month. must have been on it's way out when i bought it.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

700's arent bad trannys if they are built right. its always funny to me when people say that. is it a 400, no. is it a 465 no. if built right will it stand up to years of abuse...yes. get a huge cooler and the right tranny and youll be set. Hell theres a 700 in wally (ORD's rig...or at least ther was) Good lowrange and od. Behind a 6.2 and only running 35's or so you should be FINE!

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would rebuild the 700 and call it done. It is going to live for years upon years behind a 6.2. If built right they live for years behind big blocks.

I think you are going to have many hours of frustration if you try to swap to a 465 besides the fact that your gearing is not going to be the best with the 465.
    Just add a large cooler and tranny temp guage when you rebuild and you will be fine.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Haha...Reinforcements have arrived...lol:D

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I've posted this once before, but it killed that thread :confused: :

=======================================

A place like Bowtie Overdrives can set you up with a beefed K-case "level 2" 700R4 for about $1,200 (bring your own converter for that price, and allow for shipping costs).

This really doesn't ave much to do with the topic, but I think that the real "pitfall" of the 700R4 is probably that a disturbingly high percentage of folks that work on their own vehicles can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea of the importance and necessity of TV cable adjustment on these trannies. No matter how many tines they are told in bold capital letters not to drive the vehicle with an improperly adjusted TV cable, they sometimes do it anyway ("...but, that's just a kickdown cable - isn't it? No, I was gonna read that later...next week...or maybe never...").

It might be helpful to some to see a pressure test table of acceptable values at different TV openings for the 700R4 (out of the GM shop manual perhaps), in order to help out their understanding part of what the TV cable does.

In some ways, it's a lot like the fiber optics used in the early C3 Vettes; even some body shops didn't get the optical thing, and would even try soldering the fiber optic lines during collision repair, as if they were electrical wires!

Some folks don't need nor even want overdrive. Overdrive is great if you need it (or just want it) for higher-speed road use, to boost mileage or reduce noise on the highway or whatever. That's up to you. I like it for the highway.

If you need beefier OD trans than a beefed 700R4, but still need OD, there's always the 4L80E, but bring a thicker wallet for that brute.

8. colbystephens

i'm not saying anything bad about the 700 - i like it alot. i just have a cheaper opportunity at a 465, and i like the idea of a 6:1 first gear. at somepoint in the future, i'll be swapping to a d60 front w/ 4.56 and 38's or 39's if that changes your advice. by the way, you guys are bringing me back to square one, dammit. ;) oh well. more thinking is good. planning is good.

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would still stick to the 700.

I'm not a standard tranny fan anyway but you are going to go through headache after headache with the 465 swap. It is not hard and all of the parts are around but you have a bunch more fab type work than just unbolting the 700 having it rebuilt and putting it back in.

Do what ever but I think you will spend less money and have a better product in the end if you are looking for an off road rig.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

at crawl you count the torque convertor as x2. so its 2x3.07 x..... because the torque convertor isnt locked up it acts as a lower ratio i guess... Altogether you will not spend less going to the 465. new clutch is 150, flywheel is 150-200, tranny, tcase, pedals, linkage, driveshafts. its cheaper to go with a new 700.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

oh and your future plans dont chage my mind, id still go with the stage 2 700r4 from BTO

12. colbystephens

but that crawl ratio x2 thing is only applicable till the stall of the converter which happens to be pretty low, i believe, on a diesel converter, so it's not that much of an advantage. ok. i'm back to wanting to rebuild my 700.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Plus, have you lived behind a clutch? :haha:
    "Hey Colby, do I see you limping?"

14. colbystephens

it's ok - my brake and fuel pedal seem pretty stiff, so my right @ss cheek is bigger/stronger than my left. maybe the 465 would make up for it. :wink1:

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Nope..nope..nope, it aint the same. Don't get me wrong, its not impossible. My complaint comes from sitting on the freeway (parking lot) going to evening classes, stop/start etc. :D

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

465 in slow traffic...granny low with both feet flat on the floor. A diaphram clutch is way easier on the left leg than the Borg & Beck.

Rene

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

and if it gets real bad put it in 4 lo...then your going super slow...;)

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL, if it gets that bad I bump it into neutral...or start driving over cars. :whistle:

Rene

19. colbystephens

well, i live on campus, so that shouldn't be too big of a deal and rush hour traffic makes me so d@mn angry i avoid rush hour at almost all cost - and other drivers are thankful for that, even tho they don't know it yet. my wife wants to add that she's thankful for that too. stupid drivers piss me off almost as much as politics.

20. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Embrace the rage! :bow: