Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me figure this one out!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sax Art, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Sax Art

Sax Art Registered Member

I just noticed this last night on my way home from work.....

My '91 has, what I can call, a "thunk" when ever I accelerate from a dead stop. The strange thing about it is that it doesn't happen right away, it happens maybe .75 second (3/4 of a second) after I hit the gas from a dead or near stop. It doesn't matter if I apply the gas lightly or HARD!

I've already checked the obvious; ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.
    It does happen in 2-wheel drive, but happens more often or more strongly (loudly?) in 4-wheel drive.

Could this be a bad U-joint in the front axle?

my rig has 140,000 miles on it!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, I would check all of your u-joint and also you tranny and transfercase mounts. I had a loose tranny mount in a fullsize van once, and it actually sounded like a ball rolling in a box when you got on the gas from a stop.

One last place to check is your pinion bearings. Grab the yoke with your hand and see if there is any play in your pinion.

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Believe me..Emmetology KNOWS about pinions..LOL!!! Check what Mike said and also think about leaf-spring bind..my springs used to make a wierd kind of noise like that as the body weight shifted from acceleration. Soak em with oil or wd-40 and see what happens.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just exploring the depth and texture of this mudhole for a while"