Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me get a Sub.

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by CTBlaz45, Feb 27, 2004.

1. CTBlaz45

CTBlaz45 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif OK here is the deal I am currently driving a minivan for a work/ haul the kids around vehicle (The Blazer is too hard to deal with a rear facing car seat.) MY cousin gave me the minivan it was free I feel like I need to decalre that. I want to get a burban. IN oreder to help justifiy this with the wife, I could use some real world gas milage figures. The mini gets 16 all around. I comute about 80 miles a day so mpg. is important. If any one has some good numbers let me have the sprcs on the year and drive train please. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Our '94 with TBI 350, 4L60E and 3.73 gears gets right around 11 in town and 14 on the highway. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif OK here is the deal I am currently driving a minivan for a work/ haul the kids around vehicle (The Blazer is too hard to deal with a rear facing car seat.) MY cousin gave me the minivan it was free I feel like I need to decalre that. I want to get a burban. IN oreder to help justifiy this with the wife, I could use some real world gas milage figures. The mini gets 16 all around. I comute about 80 miles a day so mpg. is important. If any one has some good numbers let me have the sprcs on the year and drive train please. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way I can justify a burban with gas mileage is getting the Diesel Burb, and that is just what I did. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Gets an average of 20, best of 24MPG.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A diesel Burb would be the way to go. 1/2-tons have highway gears and OD trans making it superb for a lengthy highway commute.

Most 3/4-ton Burbs are intended for heavy towing with deeper gearing and no OD.

Diesel Burbs available 82ish-91 in the 6.2L, and 94-99ish in the 6.5TD.

Fullsize passenger van could work for you too (Ford or GM for that matter). /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. CTBlaz45

CTBlaz45 Registered Member

I have a bad driveway and I want somthing I can take sking etc. PLus vans are too much of a pain to work on so that leaves them out. So a gas burb with high gears is still gonna stink for highway/ comute. Hugh

6. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

The best you would get with a gas burb would be 10-11 around town, and 15-16 highway (if you stay at 65mph or under)

7. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I get right at 11 mpg. That is using the cruse control as much as possible and keeping it under 60. I only have a few stop lights in my 15 mile commute to work, so if it seems a lot of stop and go driving I imagine the MPG's will be lower as you suck more fuel to get up to speed that to maintain it.

just my .02

8. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

well stick with the van but tell her that is getting terrable gas milage while all along you fill up the same but stash the extra 10 bucks for the futur sub. Then tell her you need a battery then a altinator and then a trans, you know those can be quiet expensive ,say around 1200 dont know your van. but the key is to pocket all the money! out of sight out of mind /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and then choose what will fit you burban desire /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. utchev

utchev Registered Member

I've got an '89 half ton, TBI 350, 700, 241 and 10 bolts. 31" tires and I get about 14-15 if I keep it under 70. My 'city' driving is only 12 blocks, so I have NO IDEA what I get 'around town'.

10. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

OK HERE'S MY DEAL IF MPG AND MONEY ARE AN ISSUE DON'T DRIVE ANYTHING WITH A GAS V8! I LOVE ALL 5 OF MY 350'S THE SAME AND I JUST HAVE TO ACCEPT THE FACT IT HURTS TO FILL-EM UP. THIS GOES FOR BURBS,BLAZERS, MOTORHOMES,AND EVEN MY CADDILAC. SO EITHER SUCK IT UP OR DRIVE THAT MINI VAN INTO THE GROUND. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

My 87 consistently gets 11 MPG, whether or not I'm towing. I've learned to live with it, because while it's old and rusty, I don't have a payment on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'd advise though, that if MPG is what is going to hold you back from getting a Burban, go with the diesel. Wish I had the first time around.

12. rennyd

rennyd Registered Member

My Diesel gets about 15 city and 19 to 21 on the highway but I have a heavy foot. When my wife drives she gets about a mile to two miles more per gallon. If I had it to do again I'd go later burb with diesel but manual trans. Then I thk I could get high teens around town and twenties on the freeway. Btw I have 35 inch tires and a really mild lift. When the stock tires were on there the milage was even better. Go find a diesel.

Thanks
    Renny