Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me get my truck started this weekend by answering this question:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Mar 23, 2006.

?

How should I handle my old fuel?

1. Just run what is in there

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Run what is in there but add a conditioner

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. add a bunch of fresh fuel to mix with the bacteria infested stuff

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. siphon out the remaining fuel and add fresh diesel

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  5. "other"

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. i chuckle when i read the word "siphon" while i'm nekkid

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so i've got my rebuilt 6.2 installed in my project k5 and i'm going to get it hooked up and running this weekend. it's been out of service for about a year and the diesel has just been sitting in the tank. i don't know how much fuel is in there, the guage didn't work when i bought the truck. i'm wondering how i should handle this situation. post up in the poll, and make sure to give me your reason and method for the "other" option if you choose it.

2. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

i am not too familiar with the older diesels but a have worked on my share of powerstrokes and have seen what bad fuel can do to them i would get the old fuel out and start with fresh fuel

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'd flush the tank and lines, then use new fuel (but that's me). Another thought: Biocide - no telling what grew in there over all that dead time.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Sorry i cant help you exactly... I would say just dump in as much good fuel as possable to get as good of mixture as possable. Just as an FYI I personaly have delt with gasoline that was over a year old and it seamed to run fine in an old 350 that i had.

If i were you id just give it a new fuel filter, fill it up with good diesel, run through that tank and give it anuther fuel filter.

5. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

diesel fuel won't last like gasoline will

the biocide stuff might not be a bad idea either

you can always just dump in new fuel and try it it may be fine but then again better safe than sorry, i would at least try to get most of the old fuel out of the tank

6. colbystephens

thanks guys, i'll go ahead and try to persuade my good friend and helper to start the siphon for me. :D lol. i'm not interested in drinking diesel tomorrow! :D

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Tree stump killer
    Good luck, may Phoenix rise in your pots.:haha: Thats gotta be scarry firing-up a 6.2 after an overhaul, can't tell if its loaded with torque, or self destructing:haha:

8. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

if i were you i would get all that crap out of the tank but o do it get a self priming siphon i have one they have them at like home depot etc .... it works great it was like 8 bucks , near the lown mower section if i recall

9. colbystephens

thanks for those reassuring words. :o

:haha:

self priming siphon is a good idea - i'm going to home depot this morning anyway.

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Starting your own rebuild for the first time is like that, gas or diesel; "should I get in close or, run away":haha:

11. colbystephens

well, if i get blown up and die, don't forget the man who made your shifter knobs famous. they'll use the lever/knob combo as my grave marker.

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: The only time they're actually dangerous is at the end of a timed run, but for run-in, wouldn't hurt to break-out the catchers mitt.:haha:

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

stale diesel fuel???...

Hmm...my truck sat 3 years before I bought it..still had quite a bit of fuel in both tanks..since I got it,got it running,I've only driven it about 1000 miles,(use it mostly for plowing only)..and because I'm broke,have only kept a few gallons in one tank(other one leaks,so I disconnected it,drained it, and only run one..cant afford to fill one,why have 2,if I dont go very far anyway??)...

We had a diesel Trojan loader at the junkyard..and we found a "Pelican" street sweeper in the junk pile with 30 gallons of diesel in it,had been sitting there for maybe 5-10 years..we drained the tank into a plastic 55 gallon drum..it smelled like normal diesel,didn't look too dirty..so we let it settle overnight,and siphoned it from the top into the loader..it ran fine,it did smoke a bit more than usual on a cold start,but no other ill effects were noted..

I'm not saying its ok to run stale old diesel fuel,but in my experience as long as its not dirty or gummy I'd say its probably ok to use up whats in your tank..I know MY truck has some fuel in it that is at least as old...I have added some "Diesel Kleen" and Anti-Gel stuff to it a few times though...never noticed much difference..I've yet to change the fuel filter too,since a recent looking Wix one was on it when I got it..planning too as soon as funds allow..:doah:

14. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I would clean all the old fuel out and put fresh fuel in, And add a good diesel fuel treatment. Plus change the fuel filters. There could be rust and water from condensation in the tank.

15. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

We used to run that less-than-ideal diesel fuel in tent heaters. Smoked a bit out the outside heater exhaust (not into the tents, so no big deal). Kept the tents warm, but the Motor T guys didn't want any of it going in their fuel tanks.