Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me GUESS my tow capacity, please

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by mcinfantry, Aug 13, 2004.

1. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

how much weight can it handle??? iirc my front 60 is rated for 4200lbs continuous, rear 14 bolt 6000.... both from 86 chevy m1008 srw

cummins 4bt
    nv4500
    4.56 gears d60/14b
    38.7" tires, load range "e" 4520lbs per tire @80psi
    hydroboost discs front and rear
    tekonsha prodigy brake controller..

im serious.plese help

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd say around 6k bumper with a good hitch setup, and goose/5th wheel around 8k.

John

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Right now it sounds like you may be limited the most by your springs. What springs are you running? If they are stock then probably still rated the same as when the truck was original.

4. mcinfantry

ok, my spring rate is between a f350 drw and f450. ive had 4000 in the bed and never hit the bumpstops. its called a 1 and 1/4 ton or 5/4 ton truck

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I'd say your probably good for 10K GVW to 15K GCVW or so /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Should be close to what a newer 1 ton would be with the setup you have.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohh your safe pulling about 250olb I would say. Everything you have done is so anti tow other then the CTD. It''s too tall so your not going to beable to tow the trailer level without a VERY long drop draw bar that is going to put so much leverage on the hitch assembly that much more then that you rims twisting it off.
    Floatation tires of that size have a lot of latteral movement. Trail gets swaying and your risking getting put on your lid. Your brakes are minimal because of the mass and diameter of the tires.

7. mcinfantry

thanks for the response.
    not arguing, just a fyi.... my tires arent flotations, and have steel belted sidewalls. they are only 11" wide.
    my hood is LOWER than a 4x4 superduty, and the bed is SLIGHTLY higher. my drop hitch ended up being 10" drop because the rear crossmember on my truck is so high....
    it was rated with the original motor and 4 wheel manual drum brakes at 3600

[​IMG]