Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me help a friend fixing a Ford tranny.

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Blazer79, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

OK, I know I'll probably be flamed for asking about a ford product, but he's my friend and he's in trouble.

He has a 1987 Ford Taurus with a 3.0L engine and a AXOD transaxle. It wouldn't shift out of 1st gear, so he decided to rebuild it. He has little experience doing this. He replaced all the clutches and parts included in the kit and assembled everything. Today he tried it and still wont shift out of 1st gear. Any ideas?

I did a search on the web and the only things I could come up is to replace an aluminum piston with a steel one and replace some springs that could simply be weakened by time.

He'll pull the engine/transaxle again tomorrow so if you have any suggestions, they are welcome.

Thanks for your help.

PS I already scolded him and make him promise he'll get a chevy next time, but until then, he's stuck with no car.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Did he check out all the planetaries (spelling)... make sure they are not wrecked.. also pull the pan and check out the valve body on it... Also trannies run off of pressure.. if the pressure isnt there then it will not shift right... You might also have to tear it all the way apart and check out all the pumps in it... if i remember right those have a front pump and also a rear pump... Also i know it sounds stupid but check the fluid level.. you can add fluid till it says its full then once you start it it sucks that fluid into the converter... So you end up being really low on fluid and need to add more...I have a limited knowledge of trannies... but i can make a call tomarrow and get more info for you if you need me to.. let me know...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

There is a cable that runs from the drivers side of the trany in front of the shift linkage up to the throttle body.This is the TV cable .If its not adjusted properly the trans can slip and smoke its self or never shift at all.Does it go into gear hard?If it slams into gear the TV cable needs to be adjusted.This is what I would check first.If you guys can do a pressure check I can give you all the pressure specs.

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>