Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me Hot Rod my 2002 GMC Sonoma!!!

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by TruckNutzDude, May 14, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Okay guys, I got this thing Monday night after a really long day at work. I've been told they do well on the strip so I'm taking it to the drags next weekend to see what it can do. Here's the spec's... It's a short bed, standard cab, two wheel drive, automatic, 4.3 (262 cubic inch!) v-6, 3.42 gears (open diff.), manual windows, manual door locks, no cruise controll, American Racing aluminum wheels, toneau cover'd GMC Sonoma with 28,000 miles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I need some opinions on what could help this thing move a little quicker for the least amount of cash and won't void my warranty! I'm looking towards intake systems and exhaust right now, along with some fat tires in the back (stock height though) I also want to drop the front end about 3 inches and drop the rear 2 (it's got saggy butt and I don't really like the lowrider look.) Thanks a bunch -Rob-

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

350 swap... [​IMG]

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think you are on the right track...

Intake, cat-back, would be the first things on the list.
    After that you could look at a reprogramer. I think I would call it good there for a while...next up for me would be a blower. I don't think all the $$$ spent on all the little stuff would be worth it.

Gears and a limited slip wouldn't be bad either except you would loose some hwy mileage (which would suck with gas prices what they are at now)

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I agree, you have the right ideas. Even a K&N would help. Limited slip would be good, though with 3.42 I don't think you need gears with the 4L60E first gear. Camaro guys run 3.73 and 4.10 w.auto and 4.10 and 4.56 with 6 speeds. Take everything out of the truck when racing, including jack, spare tire and whatever useless stuff you might have in there. Weight is everything. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Stroke it and blow it.

Definitely do the limited slip and some good tires. I would also keep some weight in the bed so you can get some traction, they are too light in the rear. I have the factory locker in my S10 and I love being able to get traction and go. I would also suggest some kind of ladder bars or something to control axle wrap. If I break the tires loose the wheel hop is bad enough to shake your teeth out, and I have the heavy duty 4wd springs.

6. TruckNutzDude

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to check the glove box codes to see if it's got a factory locker (G80 still, correct?) and I'm getting some wider tires for the rear already. I've decided on a K&N FIPK and a Gibson dual exhaust. I'm keeping my spare tire in the bed and the rear bumper I've also added a bed mat (about 35#) because I get almost zero traction when I launch from a stop. Are there any good insertable lockers or is a limited slip much better for a 2wd pavement pounder? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I think you will be happier on the street with a limited slip. You will have better traction at the dragstrip. Lots of good rubber at the line.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The factory Torsen diff from the back of a late model Z-28 or Trans Am fits in S-10 rearends. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I got a brand new takeout CHEAP from SLP Engineering a couple of years ago. They would remove them from brand new cars that just rolled off the trailer and replace them with a clutch typ diff. Mine works like a charm. I never know it's back there, except I always have traction. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't think they sell them any more...

f-bodies arn't being made anymore and their supply dried up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. TruckNutzDude

A limited slip isn't exactly in my budget at the moment anyways. I'm probably going with just a re-programmer or the air intake and exhaust route. I've got to save some money to finish the Blazer and this is my DD anyways.

Who's got advise on air intake systems and exhausts? I'm not sure what company makes a better product and they're all about the same price. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There should be plenty of 'em showing up in junkyards by now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif And since they don't have any clutches to wear out, they should work as good as new. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I was psyched when I found out about the SLP deal! Cost me $75 plus shipping and when the diff arrived it still had the thick factory packing grease on the internal gears. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

check out S10 they have a whole performance mods section there under tech, catagorized by engine size /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif They are like a Jerry Springer version of CK5.com sometimes(kinda like pirate /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) for s-series trucks

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I also want to drop the front end about 3 inches

[/ QUOTE ]

dude a 3/2 drop is gonna be a lot if you don't like lowriders

the factory ZQ8 is roughly a 2/3 drop from the standard trucks (94-97ish)

you'd probably be happier with just a 2" drop in the front, 1" on a vechicle is a lot of lift/drop. just do spindles if you can afford it in the front and a 1" block in the rear. or a drop shakle

14. TruckNutzDude

I like the way the factory "extreme" package looks so I'll probably only get drop spindles up front and a block in the back. I'm planning on slapping some 31x10.5's on the back because it's got roller blade wheels on the back right now. So even if I drop the rear 2" it will sit a little higher in the back because of the tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

got any pics of what it looks like now?