Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP ME! I did it this time......T-case help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

First off, let me get this out of the way....I'm a dumba$$!
    Truck: 1978 K10 with 203 t-case converted to part time using MM's shaft kit.

Story:

Last Thursday on the way to pick up suds, I left the store and heard a squeal from the rear of the truck, I felt it a few more times. I was on the way to a show, so I ignored it. Friday on the way home from work I get a vibe in the rear. I inpsect Friday afternoon and find that one of my new (less than 4K miles), NAPA Brute Strength greasable u-joints is TOAST. I pull the shaft and commense getting a replacement u-joint. I need to move the truck so I put it in 4WD, locked hubs and pulled up to the garage (to get closer to the air hose). I decide to inspect the speedo gear as my speedo bounces at slow speeds and I already replaced the speedo cable. I commence to pulling the rear housing (right at the case), as you would do when converting full time to part time with MM's shaft kit (been there done that, that's why I know and also something to keep in mind while reading). I pull the shaft out and inspect speedo gear and find some of the plastic "teeth" stripped. I am waiting to get a replacement, but need to move the truck. Instead of putting the t-case in N and pushing (here's where the stupidity comes in), I put the tranny in N and push..............as I am doing this I here tink, tink, tink, etc. etc.
    I look on the ground and round up 40 needle bearings, a collar that is approximately 1.5" round and 1 1/8" tall, and a another collar that is approximately 1.5" round and 1/8" tall. I looked to see where they fell out and can put the tall collar in around the front INPUT shaft, but not the bearings.............I need HELP and FAST, as I need to get this back up and running QUICK!

Does anyone:
    A. Know where these things go?
    B. Have and exploided view of the 203?
    C. Repair manual on the the 203?
    D. Know a good online source for the 203?
    E. Know a good book on the 203?
    F. Any other help?

Thanks Mucho in advance!

Chris *trying to pull his head out of his a$$* /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

transfercases

sorry to hear that...been there(forgetting to think). /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif good luck!

3. Leadfoot

Sweet the pics help alot, now I just have to figure out how to get them in without pulling the case. And it looks as if there are 41 bearings (123/3), and I only found 40 so it looks as if I have some searching to do /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

4. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

i managed to do the same thing to my 205 when i was trying to fix a leak.luckily i was sitting under the truck and they fell in my lap.i used red grease to hold them in place while i put them all back.you need to find all the bearings.

5. Leadfoot

Unfortuneately the 205 is a different animal and much easier to work on. I could just about do it in my sleep. In order to put the bearings in on the 205 you use grease and put them into the output shaft which is out of the vehicle. With the 203, I have to put the bearings into the portion that is still on the vehicle with limited room to move /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

6. Leadfoot

Thanks everyone (in this and my other post). After looking at the diagram and finding the last needle bearing on the floor and cleaning them up, I managed to put them back in where they belong as well as secure the end with a hoseclamp to keep them from coming back out (like I should have done to begin with /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ) until I get all the parts to put her back together. Still waiting on the plastic speedo gear as mine was chipped.
    It wasn't as bad as I thought, but I was real worried when I saw all the bearings on the floor and not enough room (initially) to put them back in. Oh well, I guess I'll chalk it up as a learning experience (I've been having lots of those lately)!

At least now I can /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif and /forums/images/icons/smile.gif about it!