Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me.... I need some compressor advice ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Jan 29, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I need to buy a compressor, preferably today. It will be a general use compressor for the household, 1st project is spraying texture on my drywall and then it will be used for everything from running tools, paint, inflation, etc. I'm pretty much looking for an all around compressor for $300-$400. I need to know what HP, how many gallons, electric or gas, vertical or horizontal.

Anyone who has some drywall experience, post up too, this will be my first time doing it and I am planning on texturing the whole house (probably knock-down)

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a Craftsman upright. It is 30 gallons. I don't remember how many HP's though. It is a good compressor, and I think I paided $300 for it. I got it at Sears obviously. I have had it for 1.5yrs and I like it. It keeps up pretty well with most air tools except things like air grinders and stuff which is hard for most compressors to do.

Harley

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Is yours oil lubed or no?

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a Dayton that is 15 years old and been used heavily at times over the years. It is 5 hp and 20 gallon. I use a oiler on one line that I run tools off of. It plugs in with a quick disconnect. If ya can get one bigger than ya need and it doesn't work as hard and lasts much longer. Drain the valve on the bottom regularly to remove water from condensation. Huge amounts are produced in humid weather. I squirt a little oil in my air tools before using them each time just to keep 'em running strong longer.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Mine is oil free.

Harley