Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me id this engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by makovai, Apr 29, 2007.

1. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I have been looking for a runner to stick my 6-71 on, and i found one this weekend. Funny part is it came out of a 72 blazer, but he couldn't tell me if it was the original or not. I'm actually a little concerned because in 72 they still had horsepower and i need a low compression motor.

Any way the numbers on the back casting are pretty messed up but this is as close as i can tell. 3970?9 the last 3 numbers are really hard to be correct on.

The deck has V0327TXT and C53301057

Obviously the fan wont work :D

[​IMG]

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'll bet the casting number is 3970010 which is a 350 chevy. Also the numbers stamped up front, the V0327TXT tells me it is a truck engine which will almost comfirm the casting number as i've suggested.

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looking good - you need to clean up those carbs though

4. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

clean them up....i need to put them back together. look close one of the bowls doesn't even have the screws in it. :D

I'm actually gonna pick up another 1406 and run edelbrocks on it.

The holley are just for the photo shoots as in my opinion thats about all there good for.

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I need one of those setups for my GTO. Boy would my wife be pissed:D

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TXT shows as:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TXT [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1975 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]350 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]fwrd cab [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]L LS9 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]165hp [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4bbl [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C-20 to 3500[/FONT]

7. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

How do i determine the compression I.E. 8.5:1, 9:1 etc......?

assuming they are the orginal heads.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only way I can think of is to check the casting number of the head, make sure it's original to that engine (head date code will further indicate that) then check out the brochure page for the compression ratio listed for that year. If it's indeed a 1975 350, I doubt GM offered it with any higher than about 8.2:1.

I believe some heads shared casting numbers but had different CC chambers, but pretty unlikely that the heads were changed if the date code matches the year of the block, so the compression SHOULD be the same.

Of course, if someone had that engine rebuilt but used the same block/heads, different pistons would change the compression.

9. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Have the heads CC'd, it's cheap and then you can be sure. Even if they are the original heads, who's to say that they haven't been milled. Get them CC'd. I'm sure your going to freshen the engine up as well, check the part number on the pistons and find out what the rated compression ratio is with that piston with whatever CC head you have. If you can't find that out just get new pistons. SBC pistons are very inexpensive.

10. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

i just wanna know what this is going in. the vette? or the blazer? i wanna see pics when done.

11. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

The blazer...... the vette has a bigblock. I like smallblocks now. Could build 3 sBC for the price of 1 BBC.

[​IMG]

12. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

holy snike!!! that's nice. yep i'm a smallblock man myself. lookin for a 400 to build. already have a 383 gave to me just need to find it. lol