Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me im still trying to learn

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cootersk5, Aug 13, 2004.

1. cootersk5

cootersk5 Registered Member

i bought an 85 blazer with a crappy 307 so when the head blew i bought a 350 from advance auto. well after going through 3 engines i finally got one that worked. now granted i have headers with flex pipe hooking into the stock pipes just so the cope think i have exhaust. im working on this cause im broke so im trying to run it myself i just need to figure out how to go around the cross member. any ways my big problem is when im driving it im fine till im going up a hill a mountain anything that causes tranny to down shift. when this happens and my tranny shifts back up a gear it acts like it wants to stall out or its flooding itself or something i dont know. what do u all think. i just want to be able to drive it and i cant im going crazy ive had this blazer since jan. and ive drove it all together about a month

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

A little clarification. Is it doing this when downshifting say OD to D, or upshifting D to OD. I'm not clear on that. Secondly, what carb? Any other mods?

3. cootersk5

when it goes from d to od and i have an edlebrock 600 carb

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you're pulling a long hill, just kick it down into Drive and leave it there. Sounds like you don't have enough power to pull the hill in OD. With my truck it has no overdrive and real high gears, 3.08. When I'm pulling a long hill in the mountains, once it drops down to 2nd, I move the shifter to 2nd and leave it there. Even once the motor RPMs build, I just back out of it and maintain a comfortable speed. If I let it go back it to Drive it will bog down, because the RPMs drop out of the power band and I loose momentum.

Does this sound like your problem?

5. cootersk5

cool thanks for the help when im in 2nd it does work fine thank u

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah 3.08 with o/d .070:1 ratio is horrible for hills and can hurt the tranny, stay out of O/D when are on hills tryign to get up them, or even when are decelerating tryign to slow up going down one, just stay in drive only if you are not on flat land

with 3.08 you should really never need o/d anyways

an old 307 was in it ? what was it from, a car or truck or ? this was a 68-73 years production engine, were old style 2bbl dualjet carb on them
    that would be a halfway messy rig job into an 85 truck

7. cootersk5

the guy i bought it from took it out of his chevelle and put it in the blazer then the head blew on me

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    with 3.08 you should really never need o/d anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly , I have been in overdrive twice in the last month , both times flat freeway at 65 mph for 10 minutes the weekends I work at a different site . I just leave it in 3rd all the mostly /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. cootersk5

but even in drive when kicks down another gear and then kicks back up it does it if i run it in 2 at about 40 or 45 mph it wont do it