Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me make my k5 a better wheeler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffblazer, Feb 9, 2006.

1. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

hey guys need help gotta 86 k5 that has a good motor/tranny/transfer case so all that is good i have a 2 inch lift that is less than a year old so im not interested in replacing it until it is wore out. i have brand new 33/12.5/15's so not interested in changing them either. anyway my question is what should be
    my next thing to add to my k5? what do i need to make it better off road but not bust my budget (college student so not much money) i need the info on the product and price range im asking you guys because you all are the experts on low budget builds so what is my best bet/
    thanks for any help you can give me

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

sway bar disconnect, new $95 used $50

zero rate, for an extra inch of lift, new$40 used $20-30, you can make them aswell out of old overloads.

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

rocksliders maybe? if you have access to a welder, very easy to make.

4. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

locker in rear, shouldn't be too much for an insertable one

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

If the rear is open drop in a lockright. Its a cheap way to add a locker. If you have a Gov-Bomb, well you will have to dish out some more $$$ for a new carrier. :waytogo:

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

lockers! They make a huge difference in the capability. and if you need more flex, unbolt your sway bar, those 2 thigs will really help

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Shoot, take the bar off. Scratch and dent soon, the less you'll care about appearances/bling wax etc. 2 traction diffs, definetely. Equipment to pull yourself out. Magazine subsdriptions. THE books. Beard.:haha:

You'll need to confess, motor, trans, T-case, axles; thats all we care about. Similar to dogs sniffin each other out.

And if you hadn't figured by now, use smilies when there's a chance someone may get offended, or think you're absolutely stupid or nuts.

8. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

steering brace (buy this). locker in the back. rocksliders (build these).

don't hang out here.:D there's way too many guys pouring money into their trucks.:wink1: :haha: :haha:

have fun.

9. buffblazer

well i dont want to scratch and dent it just yet i have rebuilt the thing and spent lots of money to make it look (presentable) so i dont want to tear it up just yet (but i still want to have fun :saweet: ) ummm lockers sound like a good idea what are you talking about with the sway bar (not familiar with that) and also what about the steering brace:confused: what does it do and also this is my DD so its gotta be able to make 200 mile trips every other weekend.

ok and if you mean i need to confess about what i ahve done to it then ok here we go
    86 k5 custom deluxe with a rebuilt 350 90k on it. edelbrock carb and about half of the emmissions left on it (thats about all i have done to the motor) (also it originaly came with a 305) transfer case is stock (think its a 205 or 203) the tranny (really proud of this) original 4 speed manual with 195k on it and it works like its new. 3:73 gears and the axles are stock 6 bolt. manual locking hubs ummm 2 inch rough country lift (springs in front blocks in back) brand new 33/12.5/15 BIG O X/T's original stock skid plates on tranny, transfer case and gas tank. new hood and doors (no A/C or power dl or pw)
    new paint and grill guard and step bars and new interior
    ok thats about it i know you guys care more about off road capability than looks so i wont get into it but here is some pics for ya
    bought it in colorado brand new and they said the forest service ordered it with the skid plates and tranny and gutted, then they just never picked it up so we bought it new.

s1442580073_30001082_3634[1].jpg

s1442580073_30001213_1998[1].jpg

s1442580073_30001215_9243[1].jpg

s1442580073_30001220_782[1].jpg

10. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

The sway bar is bolted on to your front axel on the leafs bracket and bolted to the front crossmember of the frame. Alot of people here have removed thier sway bars to increase flex or to go with a lift. I've personaly had done it about a year ago on my 89 blazer with no lift and i love it it feels really smooth on the rough streets that we have here and increased the front flex alot. But onroad dont try to much high speed quick movements. if ya get my drift

11. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

The sway bar disconnect is from off road design. It simply lets you disconect the sway bar when off roading, then reconnect after.

The steering box brace triangulates the frame where the steering box bolts to it. 73-91 k5 and truck frames have a "weak" frame and are prone to cracking. This is also avaliable from ord.

They have pictures on their site and go into more detail.

12. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

You mean 6lug 10 bolts right? Just tryin to clear things up.

Do you plan to go with bigger tires in the future or no? If yes a locker may not be the best option with 10 bolts but if your keeping the 33s a locker will work wonders for you...just my .02

13. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My votes definately go for locker(s) and an steering brace

14. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Now whenever I lifted my trucks/Blazers I just removed the sway bar. The first time I drove with then without I couldnt tell much of a difference. Really stiff lift springs were enough. Good ol Rough Country!! :waytogo:

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

With a solid front axle, you really don't benefit from a sway bar as much as if it were IFS; unless you're towing.

16. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

"offroadable" is out of vouge because it has negative connotations of rednecks gonig off the road and tearing things up. "wheelable" is a much more cool term :p:
    I would get the steering brace before I got anything else. Its the best $120 you will ever spend on your rig.
    thanks,
    James

17. buffblazer

ok ok ok sorry when i go WHEELING and sorry yes 6 lug 10 bolt well thankyou for all the help. hopefully i will be installing a locker this next weekend

18. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

i highly disagree, I can feel a lot of body roll without the front sway attached. Just get the ORD.

Get a front locker, you might already have a LSD in the rear. IMHO, a front locker is very useful, considering the amount of weight you have over the wheels. Then again, ti depends if your a finess driver or not...

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want to increase your off road capability. A locker will give you the most bang for the buck. Lockrites are fairly cheap and easy to install. Cost around $260-280. The diference between a open and locked rear or front is very impressive.
    IMO with 33s you dont really need a steering brace.
    Sway bar disconnects/delete give a little more flex on rocks but dont help much for general off road cept maby give a little better ride. And if you are doing rocks and flexing out to the max you should have a locker.

20. buffblazer

well how hard is it to disconnect the sway bar??