Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me my blazer tail lights keep goin out and i dont know wat to do.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chrisblazzer89, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I have a blazer and I got stuck out on the trail by my house and ever sence i got out my tail lights keep going out. First it would just blow a fuse and take the dash light with it. Now the fus stays good and the only thing that happends is that the tail lights dont work . First i replaced the bulbs and they still didnt work then i took the truck to a local shop and they couldnt find the problem. now im here trying to find some help .Any one any ides if so let me know please and thanks .

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If it was blowing fuses, there's a short somewhere.
    But,first things first,check your ground on the back.
    It is just the taillights,or the taillights and front parklights?
    Do you have a trailer connector? Alot of those quick splice no solder tap in trailer harness connectors are known to cause problems, so you can try to remove that
    If it's just the tailights, you can reasonably rule out the headlight switch.
    If you have a trailer connector, even if it's not spliced in, I would start there.
    These problems are usally somewhere in the back there. The wire color for taillights is usally brown, it's spliced up in the back to license plate light, tail and marker lamps each side. Sometimes it's easier just to re-wire it. Start where the brown wire comes from rail before the first splice, and splice it off to the marker, tail, and license lamps.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

is it tailights or tailights & brakelights

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I swapped out the harness to the tail lights on my '75. I used a '82 K-10 tail light harness and it worked fine. It plugs in on the drivers side up near the fuel tank/bumper area. You can check here for faults. :wink1:

5. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

its the taillights only

6. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Its not a ground. A ground wouldn't pop fuses. It is a power wire going ground. Find out what color your tail light wires are that are positive, trase them out. Look for bad insulation. It might not be obvious. good luck.