Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me out guys. DEPDOG

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Aug 26, 2000.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Bet nobody thought I would be asking for help :)
    Here is the deal. My STOCK front drive shaft bottoms out. I'm trying to figure out if it's the springs or if I got a bent frame (well I know it's bent some). What I'm looking for is some measerments on your springs. I need the distance on the main leaf of 2.5 - 4 inch springs from the center of the front eye to the locator pin. Please list the brand, price you paid, RTI and model if you know. I am running Rancho 2.5's right now and if they have indeed moved my axle back I need to find springs that will move it foward about 2 inches (3 would be better so I can clear 35's). Also if you know the spring rate that would be helpfull I think the springs I have are 520 inch lb. I think the 4 inch EZ's are 420. Also would like to know if any other companies out there will costom springs up. I hear National has good springs but I also hear they are high on their price.
    I'll be getting frame measurments tomorrow off the Wifes 79 to see if it's more frame related than spring.

Thanks in advance.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK, I just went out and measured my front springs. First of all they are 4" Rancho's and are probably at least 5 years old.

The overall length of the spring is 47". The length from the front locating bolt to the center of the axle is 24".

If your front driveshaft is bottoming out maybe the center pin on the spring is broken.? Have you checked this? I had this happen on one of my rear springs. Are you using degree shims on the front? sometimes the center pin does'nt make it far enough through the shim to properly locate the axle. Then when you hit something the axle will move back.

My truck ramps at least 800 maybe more. I'm actually going to ramp it tomorrow so I'll have some solid numbers. It rides somewhat rough but then I have'nt rode in a lifted K5 that did'nt ride a little rough.

Give me some of your frame measurments (if you can describe where you are measuring) and I'll compare for you.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I will break out the tape measure tomorrow and let you know more. How about checing yours to see if you reverse the spring if it will move your axle forward any. I run the Tuff County EZ Ride 4" lift front springs, they worked fine with my stock shaft and the Tom Woods shaft does not bottom out either.

I also have the OffRoad Designs Longer front shackles.

As far as the custom ones go, Alcan Springs is supposed to make a very good quality spring, thats who made the ones for Stephen Watson ar ORD. They also make all the springs that ALl-PRO offroad uses in their Toyota lift kits. They have a web site, but I dont have the url anymore. Shawn may still have it.

You gonna have the crossover done for the Dixie Run?

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

4. Grim-Reaper

Thanks guys!
    Well my understanding of theRancho 2.5's from what Kevin at 4WD Parts Center told me when he looked up the springs is that the centering pin is dead center between the eye's. Kevin himself double checked and did find a desprepancy and has offered to exchange them but If I only gain .5 inches it may not be enough is why I'm asking fro some mesurments. This has been a problem from Day one and I know the centering pins are correct. I had to grind the passengerside down because it bottomed out in the Cast spring purch and wouldn't allow the spring to sit flat. With that I know I'm getting full engagement. Thats interesting that on the 4 inch Rancho springs that it is not center. Are you running a stock shaft? I am hopping to keep a stock front shaft so if I ever do it in any junkyard will have one available.
    FYI the eyes are differnt so the springs can only go in one way correctly. Takes a real Dolt to get them in backwards but I have done worse in the past LOL I did double check they are in the correct way. This may prove to be a bent frame problem. If it quits raining today I'll get my mesurments off the other truck. Thankfully I got a good body shop I deal with. If it does need a pull I think he will do it for $300.
    Again thanks for climbing under your trucks for the measurments.

Grim-Reaper

5. Depdog

Well, its raining here on the south side to, I have not been able to get out to measure or work on my K-5, was lookin forward to getting some stuff done too.

I would not think that your frame is bent that bad. Mine dis not hit with the stock shaft. I dont think there is that big a difference in the springs as far as where the center pin is located.

Depdog

6. Grim-Reaper

Well I know it's bent some. I had to make my front bumper crooked so it looked straight LOL. It has had the passenger side fender and the core suport changed. The frame has a bunch of hammer marks where it was wailed on when they pulled it out. Not complaining I only paid a buck for the truck LOL. Just want to make sure I don't take out a transfer case. Also want to get it moved foward so I can clear 35's one day. Hmmm you board? wanna build a four link air bag suspension with cross over steering next weekend? Ohhh hell, lets just build a new frame with four link both ends. we got a couple weekends before Dixie run! hehehe I wonder how hard it would be.
    I did go out with a scrub brush and washed the truck in the rain today. I let the rain rinse it. It was time. I don't think I washed it this year at all. I know I haven,t washed it since the Tellico K5 run haha. Well I gave up on doing anything this weekend at all. Guess I got plenty to do next weekend.

Grim-Reaper

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is kind of weird that the 4" Ranchos are not centered. I did'nt really think about it until you posted that. Well I participated in a Ramp contest today. I felt kinda like Shawn did when he dynoed his truck. Man there is nothing like the real numbers!
    20 Degree Ramp without airing down my tires 790 RTI.
    I had the only K5 there, the rest were all Suzukis and Heeps. The best score on the ramp was a Modified long wheelbase Suzuki LJ 80 (it was pretty awsome even for a Suzuki) and it ran out of ramp (20 degree) which made his score over 1300! They also had a 30 degree ramp and a 45 degree ramp but I left before they got busy with those.

I think I had the lowest truck there with the smallest tires. Everyone else was running 36" and up swampers and all sorts of custom suspension. I am going to look into doing a buggy spring set-up on mine in the near future.

Oh I'll post some pics of my truck on the ramp as soon as I get them developed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

This may not help but it is a thought.Is this the correct shaft for the tranny/transfercase set up or have you change the shaft and got the wrong one.I have the rancho 2.5" lift and my shaft never bottomed out.Brady

9. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Just measured from the center of the axel to the front hanger bolt and got 23.25 inches. The wheel is about centered in the well, maybe a little bit forward of center. This is OK because the axel should move back a scosh when the springs compress. The springs are custom from National with about 2.5 to 3 inches lift. They ride better than the average stock blazer in my opinion but I don't have any idea what they ramp or what the spring rate is. I'll be interested to find out when I get the time. The blazer is a '91. Hope this helps a little.

10. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Grim look into Wagoneer Springs. Say 76-90 or something like at. The measure 47" eye to eye and they are 7 leaf with I think a 7-8" free arch. I think the spring rate on them are 210-220# per in. I would maybe add a leaf at the top and that would bring them up to around 300# per ". The only problem with the springs I see is the eye to center pin is 22.5" and not 23.5 like a chevy spring. Remember that a thin leaf will flex or twist better than a thick on. This is why National Springs work so well. The twist in the spring gives a sway bar effect to some extent. Look at these leaf spring pivots do to releive the tension on the springs when twisting. Think what the spring would look like if the pivots was not in there.http://www.bcbroncos.com/suspension1.html. I would not use these on the front end but that gives you a good idea on how a thin leaf will help.

Donovan

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Grim-Reaper,
    didn't the '75 come with spring stops on the front springs. are yours still on the k-5? if not that is the problem. on some of the early models i know the put the limiters on to stop the travel due to that problem? just a thought to check...

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

12. Grim-Reaper

Ok like I said the the drive shaft is STOCK as in came on the truck in 75. The problem is not with it unless GM screwed up 25 years ago. The problem is either in the lift springs. or bent frame.
    I like Your idea Donavan!!! the 22.5 should move the axle foward like I want giving me better clearence where they usualy hit the rear of the fender. Will deffinatly look into that. Wonder if Kevin at 4WD parts center will swap a GM spring for the Wagoneer. Now my only concern here is this...Jeeps tend to run the spring under the axle. Anybody know if this holds true for the wagoneer? It might end up being just right for a 4 inch lift. the 220 might be to soft is another concern but 520 is pretty stiff. I still have a winch that will be hangin on here soon.
    Anybody know what the spring rate is on the Rancho Baha spring in a 2.5?
    Thanks again guys!

Grim-Reaper

13. Grim-Reaper

The bump stops have been extended 2 inches. Rarely come in contact with the axle.

Grim-Reaper

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, my friend has a 76 Wagoneer and the front is spring under and the rear is spring over.

I will get some measurements tonight on my springs if you like, I am running 6" superride Superlifts. With the Superride, it is almost like having a 4" due to the lower spring rate.

Let me know if ou would like my measurements. With the recommended shocks on this I ramp about an 823 on a 20degree(I can lift the front tire with a forklift off the ground 30")

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

15. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Yes Jeeps are spring under but with that arch and maybe the added full leaf you would end up just about right. I picked up a set of springs for $15 at the Junkyard and that was it. I forgot one thing the bolts in the spring are all 9/16 so you would have to change your shackle. I talked to National and they said that there spring rate on a custom spring would be around 180-200#. I have a set but have not got them on yet. One of many projects I have to do.[​IMG]

Donovan

16. Grim-Reaper

Yeah if you got some time some measurments would be great. On you K5 Measure from the top of the AXLE hub that comes through the rim to the body line on the fender. The wheel well lip of my fender is not stock from rust so the body line will give a common point. Do you know the spring rate by chance? Also a Waggoneer is clost to the same weight. If you goofing off with your bud take a straight edge and lay it accross the shackle bolts through the eyes and measure to the bottom of the spring pack with about 200lb on the front bumper. This will give me a loaded spring arch mesurements and a rough idea of a hight on my truck.
    Thanks

Grim-Reaper

17. Emmettology 101

I can get you the measurements from mine tonight although they may be a little off do to my rear sag. And I called my friendwith the Wagoneer and he has the engine out and the front clip off as he is in the process of swapping frames, so it may be a little while before I can get measurements from him(sorry)..

I will send you my measurements tomorrow.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

18. Depdog

Not sure on the weight, but yes they are spring under on the Wagoneer. I may get me a set of them from the junk yard and take a look at em.

Depdog

19. Emmettology 101

He will have the stock springs off soon, I could measure them unmounted if that will help or not?

Mike [​IMG]

20. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Tom how many leaves does your national springs have in the front and rear? Just wanting to know. Thanks

Donovan