Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me out here: throttle cable

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Nov 8, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I rebuilt the carb and put an offroad kit in it and an electric choke, went fine. For some damn reason I can't get the accel cable back in the right position, the ferrule that is supposed to give the tension holding the pedal up has slack and the pedal is almost to the floor. Bought a new cable, but since it was Checker it of course does not fit (totally different on both ends).

Any thoughts on this?

Can I just use one of these to take out the slack?:

[​IMG]

Not sure about this as the only ferrules like that I can find are aluminium.

I'll be glad to post some pics if anyone thinks it's necessary.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bend....

I've cheated and bent the "Z" bar thing the cable goes in , that hooks to the gas pedal,to bring it up higher....maybe there is another hole in the carb lever you can use also..

If its wrong on both ends,it might be the cable was boxed wrong,or a cheap "universal" style..in that case I'd try bringing it back,and see if another year truck cable looks better,and has the right ends. I usually get mine from a junkyard or dealer when I need one..GM parts fit best!..

You could cut the cable (then you own it :doah: )-and use a "Barrel clip",like lawnmowers use on their throttle cables,(its a brass sleeve with a hole for the cable,and a small bolt on one end that pinches the cable)...but I'd prefer the right cable in my truck personally..wouldn't want it sticking wide open,or failing at a critical moment.. :eek1: :crazy:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had to bend the gas pedal cable mounting point to get my TPI throttle cable to get just the right tension.

It felt to me that the piece on the pedal was about to break when I was bending it, just be careful in doing so. It sounds like you have a LOT of slack though, just doublecheck that its still clipped into the firewall securely. Odd that it occurs with the same carb...

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

You might be able to get a new cable through Year One. They are doing old GM trucks now.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Still clipped to the firewall, and yes, there is a lot of play, about 2.5-3 inches of extra cable in front of the pedal's upper lever.

Tried looking at the other end, no further forward place to attach to carb lever.

The cable I bought was special order, I don't even know if the chumps will take it back, and they had no others in stock so I'd have to pre-pay for another possibly bad part.

I went and looked at my "extra" '72 to see if I may be able to scavenge the cable off of it but it was so jury-rigged it was ridiculous. Looked like he had some slack too and had stacked up a buch of zip ties on the cable to tighten up the slack, it was way scary looking.

I'm gonna go down to Napa and see if they might have anything. Wish I had another first gen around here to look at.

I'll look at Year One also, thanks Scott.