Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me out here!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by santana, Mar 23, 2004.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

What are symptoms of a steering gear going bad? When I turn the wheel slowly while parked I feel the steering wheel skip and pop. I checked around and everything looks good down there plus since I went wheeling a couple of weeks ago the steering wheel isn't straight while driving straight. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif no leaks, plenty fluid in reservoir, new pump. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Check the frame for cracks where the steering gear bolts on. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I feel the steering wheel skip and pop...the steering wheel isn't straight while driving straight

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your draglink adjusting sleeve is not tightened and it's skipping threads, you've got a bad steering box.

Check the draglink issue first, but if it's the steering box, I'd keep the truck off the road until you fix/replace the steering box. The possibility of losing steering is very dangerous to you and others.

4. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

no cracks to frame, and the draglink is nice and tight so that would prolly leave me with a bad box huh? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I feel the steering wheel skip and pop...the steering wheel isn't straight while driving straight

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your draglink adjusting sleeve is not tightened and it's skipping threads, you've got a bad steering box.

Check the draglink issue first, but if it's the steering box, I'd keep the truck off the road until you fix/replace the steering box. The possibility of losing steering is very dangerous to you and others.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Good point, thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Also check your locating pins on the springs. If they are worn it can allow the spring plates to wander and make poppin sounds. Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The larger bolt in the top can be used to adjust the gear back lash (sorta). It is not a perminent fix, and might not work at all if the play is real bad. Get a new box either way. While you are there put on a frame brace if you plan on wheeling it often (4 wheelers supply <33st & washington> has them in stock).

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

All these replies sound like possible causes. Mine was the front springs. Just didn't feel right and my whole front end made real bad noises, worst when backing up with wheel cranked. Went away after my lift. I was spraying lithium on it every week to fix it, so leaves would move better on each other. Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif