Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me out with this sound Im hearing--

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Mar 23, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

I hear it when Im just coasting along at lower speeds (about 15-30 mph). Its kind of like a "knack knack knack" sound... seems to be correlated with the tire spinning as far as how fast the "knack" sound repeats. It completely goes away when I depress the brake pedal. Let go, comes right back. It sounds like it may be coming from the front, but Im not really sure. Any ideas?

2. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem on my '89 Sub where the same type of noise would come between 15 and 25mph. I had new wheel bearings, new brakes, and recent alignment at the time and the noise still remained. I ended up replacing the bushings and caliper bolts on the front brake calipers and the noise went away for about a month and then came back. I recently got some new tires which happen to be the same brand, model, and size as my old tires, and the noise has gone away. Besides replacing the bushings and caliper bolts I don't have any other suggestions. This was covered in this post as well. Good luck!

3. K5thatShmobs

Yeah Im suspecting that it has something to do with the calipers because it goes away when I hit the brakes. As far as replacing the caliper bolts, I cant because I have a caliper boltless Dana 60 which uses the retaining clip design. Anyone have any ideas for what this might be on a D60?

4. K5thatShmobs

Today Im going to put the truck up on stands to try and figure out what the sound is, but if anyone can shed some light on this, let me know.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

there are some rubber o-ring bushing things in the caliper...when they wear out, the caliper can move a little...this may be causing the noise

6. K5thatShmobs

On a Dana 60 caliper?