Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me pick a carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Oct 27, 2001.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hi again I have a 73 blazer 350 that isn't really modified and want to get rid of the rodchester and need some helpful insite.What is the better carb,the carter 9635 electeric choke(625 cfm) ,carter 9755(750 elec choke) or the edelbrock 1460 (600cfm elect. choke)

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Everything but Quads suck! nobody here will tell you any different. The only thing that beats a quad is fuel injection.
    Get the Eddle brock Rochester with electric choke.1904 is the model number. Hit the junkyard and get a air cleaner off about a 85. Also get the choke oil pressure switch and wires or buy the one in Jegs listed as a fuel pump cut off. That is the correct way to wire a electric choke. it will only send power to the choke when it's got oil pressure/running. You want the 85 air cleaner because it has a connection normal used for the air pump. It's a pipe up into the clean air side of the air cleaner. you need to run a peice of hose from the float bowle vent (front top center big port on the carb) to that pipe to vent the float bowl properly.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

1900 series edelbrock Q-JET. do a search you;ll find a lot.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, what they said. Only the Q-Jet will run right at extreme angles and when you are bouncing around hard. Anything else will die. Do a search, this has been covered again, and again, and again, and...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

ive been in some crazy off camber angles in my jimmy and never had it stall ive even had people ask if i have fuel injection and the answer was "just a Q-Jet" you gotta love it. Now if you want street performance go Holley. Now if you want looks go edelbrock. just my .02

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I'm with them. I have run my quad at some high angles, and only had a problem once. I was on a REALLY steep hillclimb and it wanted to die once in a while, but i just floored it and it ran me right to the top. I have run many other off camber and steep runs with no problems. It is the best fourwheeling carb around. Barn none. It is the only way to go if you offroad.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

7. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

the Edlebrock, 800 (795) cfm carborater is awsome, on and off road...
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

8. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I just put a 1406 on my truck and for the street i like it a lot more than my stock q-jet, havnt tried it off road though. I would like to get a edelbrock q-jet though

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

1406 is great on road...any sort of angle and it floods out though. I'd get either a Q-jet or FI if you wheel it at all.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

10. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

I got a new edlebrock 750 "1407" fo sale. just cant use it in CA

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hi XPLOSUV I will be going to the 4x4 camping weekend on the 9th,10th and 11 to so I can chat with ya if you still have it by then.Is it not (smog compatible) for the 75 since you still have to get the smog every 2 years.I have a 73

12. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Yea the Kalifornicaton Laws wont allow me to use it and Im giving up playing the games every 2 years. I'll see ya up there.

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

750 is way too big of a carb for a 350.

If I were you I'd go with a new Q-jet.

That said, I have a 500 CFM Edelbrock on my 305 and it works very well. Future plans are to rebuilt the old Q-jet for performance and pop 'er back on. My 305 is not stock, but doesn't need any more than a 500 cfm carb. A 600 cfm would work great on a 350.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

750 CFM too big for a 350 ????????????
    I think someone should tell GM that they made a grevious error on all those millions and millions of 350s that they put 750cfm Q- JETs on.
    Every Q Jet after the late 1960s that GM has put on any of their vehicles was 750 CFM or larger.
    True, 750 CFM Holley or Edelbrock /AFB type wont work well on most 350s. But the small primaries and the huge secondaries allow the Q-Jet to work very well on a smaller displacement engine.

As far as the choice between Edelbrock and Carter it dosn't matter they are both basicly the same carb. They are both based on the Carter AFB carb.
    Get the 600 CFM in either type. They both work well for street and light to moderate offroad.
    But if you wheel hard get a Q-jet. Edelbrock makes a good Q-jet also. Model #s 1901or 1903 should fit.

<font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 10/29/01 08:21 PM.</FONT></P>

15. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Here's a question, are the Edlebrock carbs made by Webber?
    Im looking at mine and there's a W on it? and as far as a 750 on a chevy 350, mine work great it just the laws that suck not the carb, but i dont have a stock 350.
    -Tony

16. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Here's a question, are the Edlebrock carbs made by Webber?
    Im looking at mine and there's a W on it? and as far as a 750 on a chevy 350, mine work great it just the laws that suck not the carb, but i dont have a stock 350.
    -Tony

17. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

I run the Edelbrock 1902 Q-Jet. Yes I do believe them to be made by Weber. The carb works great! I am going TBI though cause I hate carbs.

Mark

1985 K5
    Built 330HP crate 350, SM465, NP208, 10 bolts, Ranchos and 31X10.5 on Rallys!

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. If we're talking squarebore carbs, a 750 is too big for any naturally aspirated 350.

A 100% volumetricly efficient 350 cubic inch engine at 6,000 RPM needs 607 CFM of air. That's quite exaggerated too because few trucks if any will ever see 6,000 RPM and no motor I know of with a dual plane intake will ever see 100 percent volumetric efficiency. Especially one with stock or nearly stock cylinder heads. There's the numbers. Argue with that.

As for the Q-Jet, it adjusts the doors that open the secondaries based on load and has very small primaries. It will work very well on any engine from a small 6 cylinder all the way to a stock or mildy modified big block.

I never meant to say that a Q-Jet wouldn't work on a 350. Q-Jets are a great design. Their versitility as far as size is unmatched in the arena of carbs.

So, let me be more clear and say that a 750 CFM squarebore carb is too big for a 350 in a truck. With vacuum secondaries it could be made to work but it's still over-carbed.

I'd much rather have a carb that is too small than too big for an engine. Trucks need TORQUE, and vacuum is what makes torque. Small carbs will give better throttle response and bottom end torque. That's yet another reason that Q-Jets work well--the small primaries work very well off idle.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

19. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Hey 84',
    You sound knowledgable on carb's so here's another question. 350 engine with a 671 blower, tunnel ram with 2 holly 600's. Is this too much carb for this setup? a friend told me it would "hook up" better with 2 400's? I mean would it be better for daily driving with smaller carbs due to that low end tourqe, or does it matter at this point?

Thanks

20. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I know this much, I put a holley 650 dp with mechanical secondaries on the firebird which has a pontiac 350 (355 from the factory)bored 30 over so its 359. I put the biggest jets I had and it still ran lean. I was running 90s squared all the way around. Now I stepped up to a 750 dp w/ mech sec. and I only have to run 70 jets and it runs a little rich now, but not much. So I would say sometimes a 750 works on a 350. My redline is 6,000 rpm also. Now as for a stock 350 I wouldnt go any bigger than a 650 cfm.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>