Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me pick a quieter tire please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_muscle, Jan 19, 2005.

1. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

Size: 33x12.5x15

I have some off-brand mud terrains right now, but my Blazer is a DD for me. I often drive from Dallas to Houston in it, so I do a lot of freeway miles too.

My current tires are LOUD :ears: :yikes: and it's killing me. I can't even hear my radio at full blast.

I'm looking for a tire that is quieter, but also can go on the occasional mud pit without getting stuck everytime.

I'm guessing I'll have to go to a All-Terrain tire, but I'm asking for your recommendations for anything that gets good off-road traction but won't damage my hearing.

BTW, I won't buy any of the *.stone, BFGoodrich, or Michelin tires.

I was thinking about the Dunlop Radial Rover RV, but I'm afraid it won't grip in off-road.

Any recommendations?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What's wrong with these tires you listed?

I like these tires.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I know you said you wouldn't run them, but I've had both 32x11.50 and 33x12.50 BFG muds on my K5 in the past and thought they were pretty quiet for a mud tire. It had some generic mud radials on it when I bought it and they were also very loud and rode rough, and that's what I'm comparing the BFG's to (never had any street or all-terrain tires on it for comparison). The BFG's also wore really well.

I also had Goodyear MT/R's on it and they were noticable louder, but not bad. I'm not sure how they wore compared to the BFG's because I didn't drive it on the road too much by then and sold them well before they were wore out.

My current DD ('03 2500HD) has Trxus MT's on it and I think they are fairly loud.

4. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Mtr's are the quietest and best on road of the mud tires if you want or any all terrain will be much quieter.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

AT and AP series tires are quiet and grip about everything, snow, mud, sand, overall the best, theyre all we use around here for boat ramps, snow, ice, creeks, rocks, mud, etc. no noise at all, never any issues, cnever been stuck anywhere

good luck

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run the 33 inch Sport King AT radials . They are an AT tread , but its almost looks like a mud tread with the lugs closer together and has sipes . They are quieter than BFG at's , yet they are made by BFG . I have no problems on street , loose dirt , rocks , whatever :k5: :k5:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

And they wear out quicker than any other tire. I hate Goodyears and their "fast wear" tread compound.

8. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

The reason I won't buy those brands is because I'm a firm believer in supply-demand, and holding a company accountable for practices that I dislike. Kinda like if you get bad service in a resturant, tell the manager and he blows you off, and you decide never to spend your money there again.
    that cepek tire looks great. Have you had them? If, so what were your thoughts?

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I really like my Goodyear MTR's. They are pretty quiet tires and they offroad well. They do wear faster then other tires but they are still an awesome tire.

Harley

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know you said you wouldn't buy BFG's, but I've run two sets of their A/T's on my DD now. It's a '93 fullsize blazer with a 4" lift and I'm running 33x12.50's. They do great in almost every condition you would take a daily driver through. I don't do anything crazy with them, but they do see a mud pit from time to time when I feel the urge. :D

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've used BFG M/T for years on 3 trucks and love them. I did have their A/T on one DD and they were like SILENT!!

12. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

MTR'S BABY

They're quiet, and for me they are lasting way longer then my Micky T's did. My truck is a daily driver, (weekend warrior) and I honestly don't think there is a better tire for me.