Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me pick a torque converter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Nov 22, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

so i've been asking on the caddy board, and they give some advice that i dont know if it works for offroading, here's some clips

[ QUOTE ]
    I would just call ATI and ask for their 13" High-stall converter. Tell them its for a Caddy. I think I paid $165.00 shipped to my door.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    when you drive that high stall it feels just like stock, but when you stab it it throws you back, to tight a converter even on the rocks may pull the motor down to much. your torque is higher at around 2500 than at 1800 so even under light throttle the quicker you can get into your band the less likely you'll bog it or get stuck. its not a "high stall" like most people are used to, its just a slightly looser stock unit, that responds quicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Many Rock Crawlers believe that a very tight / low stall converter improves compression braking in downhill situations.

One of the main advantages to a manual box vs. an auto.

I sure would like to know for sure if this theory is correct or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You cant go wrong with the 13" "high stall" ATI converter, its the same converter that GM used in HP big block cars in late 60's and early 70's, maybe more, its not that high of a stall 1600-1800 depending on the application ATI part # is 408240, its $137.00 dollars + shipping, looks just like a stock one.

[/ QUOTE ]

are they right, i asked them if i should get this one
    http://www.jegs.com//cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=12187&prmenbr=361
    it looks like what i need, but they are trying to talk me our of it... application is this
    BBCaddy to th400, cam range starts at 1800, so i think 1600 would be the ideal stall speed, but i've also heard that around 1000 is good for crawling /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

1000 seems too low, I think stock for most trucks is around 1400...I would aim for 1500-1800 myself, though I am not sure how having a Caddy BB changes things /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

High stall pretty much kills low speed finess in the rocks and can overheat your trans fluid quickly.

Low stall in the rocks to me gives you more control and not reving the RPMs way up to get you moving keeps the tranny alot cooler.

The stall on my converter is almost idle.Just touch the gas and its right there.Makes it nice for taking it slow and easy in touchy situations where you dont wanna just launch into something. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

see thats what i was thinking, but didnt have a 2nd opinion /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I purchased the th 350 version of that converter..
    I had nothing but problems with it..I had to pull it!!!

It started being a problem on the 90th day of the warrantee..so I had to talk to customer service at Summit Racing..
    After 6 months..Summit refunded my money...

I have a B&M 1800-2200 stall in my trail rig..
    I running 44's...4.10's...with a th350 automatic..zz4/350 motor.
    My rig crawls nice...and my trans runs cool too.

My converter seems to engage at about 1100-1200...
    when I don't stab the throttle.

I think the converter is helping me with the 4.10's..
    my truck gets outta the hole.

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Branndon, I have an 1800 stall in my 4l60E with a Doubler. I hardly notice the stall at all, and the converter seems to lock up right away.