Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me pick an MP3 player

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fordeater, Jan 11, 2007.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So, I'm looking to buy an MP3 player. I want probably a 1 or 2 gig and i don't know which one to buy. I'm not too fond of the IPOD. Can anybody recommend a good and descent priced MP3 player???

2. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with you on not liking the iPod. I bought one back in '04 and within a year and a half the battery took a crap and now can only be used if it's got constant power to it. Since it's a sealed unit you can't replace the battery. So no biking, mowing grass, or streaking through the neighborhood.

I was mostly happy with it other than that, even when the battery was alive it still only lasted a couple hours though.

I'm too cheap to buy a new one right now but the next one I buy will damn sure have a replaceable battery (or batteries)...:mad:

3. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I use an RCA lyra, which costed about 70 bucks. it uses 1 AAA battery which lasts about 20 hours of listening (very loud), when I plug it into the computer, all the comp see's is another small hard drive in which to drag and drop songs or pictures in and out of.
    The one I have is 256 mbs in size, but they go all the way up to 6 gigabytes.
    here is the best part they hold an optional SD card to increase the storage space I currently have a 1 gig card in mine it works great

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was in a bind a few weeks ago and needed an audio source, so I bought an "Innovation One" from Radio Shack for $60. It holds 1gb and appears as a removable drive when you plug in. It also has a radio tuner, which was helpful to me. I've only used it a dozen times now, but so far it's been great. The FM reciever front end is kinda crappy, but the device is the size of a battery, so you can't expect super-tuning.

I have a Sandisk Sansa 512mb I use when I go riding. That holds MP3/WMF and has an FM tuner. That little bugger has been great for almost a year.

5. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've never used one, but that looks pretty groovy. I don't think it would work for me cause I like to control it tactile-ly, without looking at it. But if I still commuted by train I'd probably buy it.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a Sansa 4mb. Its great. I highly recommend it.

8. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have an Ipod which I like. My bro has a sandisk which he likes a lot.

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I like the sansa, you can get it in 2,4,6 g plus it has a expandable slot for sdcards

10. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I use my TomTom in the truck and my wife uses a inno, so I have nothing useful for you if you want true MP3 so ill shut up now.

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Where do we go now, Rich Rich?

Rich Richj?

AHsjahsaaaaahahaha

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I've had two RCA lyras. I think they are awful. They work ok, but to me the software that comes with them is terrible. I'd never buy another one. I got a 30G ipod for Christmas and the software is simple to use. I have not even looked at the instructions and have it figured out. I'm not a computer whiz either by the way. Obviously, I haven't had it long enough to find out how durable it is on the mechanical side. So far I love it.

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

One thing to remember is that on the smaller capacity players, 8gb or less, it is not a moving hard drive. Less to break and no moving parts. My daughter had her ipod replaced 6 times(60gb model) My 2gig one is still going strong.

And it is easy to make an external battery pack for the ipod when the battery dies.

Wait and see how the Zune from Msoft does. I may be getting one of those in a litle while.