Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me pick my t-case....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok I have decided to go for the best all around build I can. I want something that can Mud, rockcrawl, jump and everything in between. I have most of the build planned already and am down to now deciding on my T-case. I plan on a 500+ hp engine so please keep this in mind when choosing one of the options. I will be using a 500caddy, sm465, 5.13's, 42" tires. I know what it takes to make the caddy go with the 465 so lets keep this to the t-case choice.

High range will remain the same in all applications
    1st- 33.60
    2nd- 18.37
    3rd- 8.05
    4th- 5.13

If I use a 3:1 205 (if and when they come out) I will have the following ratio's for each gear

1st- 100.80
    2nd- 55.10
    3rd- 24.16
    4th- 15.39

Ok 3.8 atlas

1st- 127.69
    2nd- 69.79
    3rd- 30.61
    4th- 19.49

Atlas 4.3

1st- 144.49
    2nd- 78.97
    3rd- 34.63
    4th- 22.06

Doubler
    Single Low

1st- 68.21
    2nd- 37.28
    3rd- 16.35
    4th- 10.41

Double Low

1st- 133.69
    2nd- 73.28
    3rd- 32.14
    4th- 20.41

Ok so looking at all the options you can see that a few of them have ratio's that overlap each other in high and low range and some end up being almost identical. Also the lower you go the bigger the gap between the gears get. I do think that the abundance of Hp/Tq will help make up for some of this but how much? Which would you choose and why? I know the doubler has the best gearing options with the fewest gaps but would I really find a need for all those in-between gears? and would the extra weight and length be worth it when I need to lose both. I will have extreme travel in the rear that will require the longest slip d-shaft I can fit. So I have almost ruled out the doubler completly.

Ok enough of the rambling what do you think? Please provide me a brief description of why you choose which option.
    Thanks
    ~Max

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

atlas not rated for that abuse if i am remembering corectly. get the dub kit or the lowmax. best probuly is dub kit. and if you need a 203 and adaptor for 465 tranny there is 1 on ebay now!!!!

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If either of the Atlas cases will hold the power then I would go that route. The 465 will allow you to gear split like a doubler. If you do deside to do the doubler you should go with the 32 spline tranny to help keep strength up, but this will make your tranny/tcase setup even longer.

As for the super flexy suspension you should be able to find a driveshaft fron HAD or a good shop that will keep up with almost any suspension even if it is behind a doubler. Several guys in AZ run 57" ford springs on the Springer drop shackle setup behind doublers and they don't have problems with overflex, and they flex pretty well. With that much flex and that much power I hope you have a good tracbar setup in mind otherwise the axlewrap will probably be horendous.

Harley

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Max,

I voted for Doubler. With the large ratio spreads between gears in the 465, I think the more gearing options in the cases you set yourself up w/ the better.....

As far as 500 hp in a big heavy 1 ton truck w/ 42s and all kindsa gearing... Harley's right.... you're gonna get into "S" shaping any leaf springs that will flex. I guess I make the suggestion to link it on both ends.... or at least the rear.

The other point to make is that with your parts list:
    500 Caddy - 465/203/205 - 60/C14 - 42" tires

These are not lightweight parts..... and you're gonna wind up w/ a heavy truck! Heavy trucks are typically not the best at hauling ass across 3 ft whoops!...

I guess I'm saying that I think you're gonna wind up with a better "crawler" than a "jumper"...

Marv

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

A couple of years back, at TTC, the big orange jeep (Jerry Cantrell) cratered his Atlas when the front wheels were in the air and came down and got traction. Go with the doubler.

John

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

go for the doubler. The atlas is big change last time I look at their site... although it would be cool for me to know someone with an atlas:grin:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no cooler than knowing someone with a Dana 60, and we've all got those.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My vote is for the Doubler (that's what I bought). Things that steered to this decision were;

* proven durability
    * cost
    * ease of parts availability (if broken or needing service)
    * potential for modifications (WMS 3.1 gears available for 203 if more is needed)

I also considered the Klune Goliath unit (2.7 reduction) but ultimately the Doubler looked better for the reasons listed above. (try to find parts for a Klune or Atlas on a weekend)

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

As far as the weight thing goes I did realize it was going to be heavy but I think that with the 500, its not as heavy as a standard BBC and with the addition of aluminum heads, intake, waterpump, etc. I should be able to get it close to the weight of a sbc but with much more power. This is also why I was thinking the atlas over the doubler. Its going to be a heavy beast so why make it heavier than necessary? Also I had thought that the atlas was rated for much more torque than that. I'll have to look into it. And yeah it will be a better crawler than desert racer but thats fine because I do crawl more often, I just wanted the ability to be able to launch it if I ever make the dunes etc. I have also considered buying a second set of tires for just such a thing. maybe 37" BFG's or MTR's.

Will the gearing options really be all that necessary with all that power though? Could I not just power through the gaps in the gearing?

And as far as I was aware you can not link leaves. I was thinking something like the a-tron (if thats who makes it still) Like on Rene's truck. Never thought about the front though. I guess with that much power I would need it eh?

Keep the comments coming though I appriciate them all,
    thanks
    ~Max

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

isnt the caddy only like 50lbs heavier than a sbc? i'd guess with aluminum heads, intake, etc. you would be at least equal, if not a hair lighter than an all iron sbc.

i vote for doubler, this setup is shortest behind a sm465 anyway right>? alot shorter than an auto

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

also since you said you want the best all around build you can, i'd say link it too, and move the rear axle back a few inches, which will give you that much more shaft to work with. just 2" back wont make that much difference in breakover angle.